Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

datsun 280zx: we have a 1979 datsun 280zx, i have a backfire

Customer Question

we have a 1979 datsun 280zx, i have a backfire out the intake when you throttle into it, it seems to run ok otherwise, ive replaced fuel pump, fuel filter ,plugs, wires,cap and rotor. seems to get better the warmer the motor gets? rich
Category: Car
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

-

Have you checked the timing? How is it running otherwise?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, the timing is at 11 degrees, factory says 10 , this is with the advance unhooked.and it does advance when you throttle up.

Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Does it seem to be running rich? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

does not run rich, and we cannot find any vacuum leaks.

Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
Based on all you are telling me, it sure sounds like it is a little lean from a vacuum leak. I would check again. What method did you use to try and find the leak?