How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask sean Your Own Question
sean, Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 3105
Experience:  Certified Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.
Type Your Car Question Here...
sean is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If Im buying a new car from a dealer and I am also trading

This answer was rated:

If I'm buying a new car from a dealer and I am also trading in my old car, do I get to retain the tax disc from the old car and get some money back from the DLVA?

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

Usually the tax disc remains with the vehicle and the dealer will get any refund due, the dealer will have used the refund in the equation for the value of the car.

If you want the tax disc for a refund then you need to state this to the dealer before agreeing on any deal this prevents any misunderstanding. The main reason for this is some cars can cost nearly £500 to tax so if this were deducted from the price of the car it would be a significant difference.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,


sean and 2 other Car Specialists are ready to help you