Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

pickup isuzu: 1990 isuzu pickup 2.6lit 1ton this truck was

Customer Question
1990 isuzu pickup 2.6lit 1ton...
1990 isuzu pickup 2.6lit 1ton this truck was sitting fo five years i was abel to get it running but was missing at idle a littel bit but ran fine on hwy so i cleaned the gas tank out put new fuel filter i put rotor distributer cap and plugs i also puled off the throttle body cleaned it out with carb spray ceaned out the common chamber tested and cleaned 4 injectors tested mass air flow senser i put it all back together and now it lacks power also when im driving down the road at times i press the accelerator it will give a slite back fire and turn off the engen it wont turn back on untill i turn the key to crank the engen i also checked the fuel reg and i have 35 to 45 psi to the injectors also checed compresson 1=149 2=130 3=150 4=150 now engine misses throughout driving speed range can not drive it till i can get this repaired please can you halp me. Art
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
6/10/2013
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 4 years ago
Pete, Technician

HI Art,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Can you tell me how you had cleaned the fuel injectors on this vehicle?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

I sprayed carb cleaner ineach individual injector with 45lbs of preasure behind it. used a AAA battery to have injector function.

Have you checked for any vacuum leaks before or after these repairs were done?

yes i went through it thouroughly. I used a spray bottle wth 90% rubbing alcohol. sprayed engine didnt hear RMP rise.

how can i check if the voltage is making injectors respond?

You can use a test light or a noid light to test the signal to each injector.To do this unplug an electrical connector from an injector.You should have battery voltage on one of the wires with the key on,the other wire is a ground pulse signal from the computer.You can crank over the engine and the noid light or test light should blink connected between these two wires at each injector one at a time.The test light may be dim which is normal when testing these.

Since the condition had got worse when the injectors were cleaned I am wondering if when you jumped power and ground to them if this damaged the injectors as I have seen this happen before and had to replace them.

Thanks Pete

I checked resistance on the injectors. I placed my own meter at 200 and the number 1 cylinder injector is at 4.9ohms, the number 2 cylinder injector is at 4.2 ohms, the number 3 cylinder injetor is at 5.3ohms, the number 4 cylinder injector is at 4.5ohms. Are these in spec? thank you

My chart shows the injectors resistance for each injector is between 2 and 3 ohms.Try this test with a cold engine if it wasn't done with a cold engine and see if the resistance is in range.If it still is not then these injectors may be at fault here causing this,may be due to jumping voltage to them and cleaning them and may need replaced.

Thanks Pete
Pete I have another test question on this truck how can I test the distributer I think there is no parts that I can interchange I think if it is bad I would need to change it out but I don't know how to test it thanks Art
Are you receiving spark on all cylinders?
Yes all cyclinders heve spark but I notice that the #1 and #4 was very light on the spark I did this I went one by one and started with #1 I pulled each spark plug wire and I placed a new spark plug in it and grounded it and nioticed the #1and #4 very lite spark I pulled out the distributar and cleaned it whith mass air flow cleaner I put it back together and spark is good but now driving down the road it has a bit of miss fire and when I step on accelerator it will have a small miss fire pop and turn engin off I turn key off and starts right back up. Thanks Art
If you have a timing light clamp it onto each spark plug wire one at a time and see if you can run the light into the cab with you and observe the light while driving (with a second person of course) and see if spark is cutting out on any of the wires when this occurs.If it is then most likely the distributor is at fault needing replaced here especially since when you cleaned it up it ran better this usually indicates this can be the issue needing corrected here.

Thanks Pete
I used a timing light on each plug wire and the # 1-2-and 4 looked like a normal pulse it was the #3 cylinder that was pulsing way to fast it almost looked like a flash light I can barely see a pulse it's to fast . I noticed when the engine cuts off when driving the spark is still firing , the engine is still turning key on engine off left in gear but when I turn the key off and crank the engine the engine turns back on Is it possible that the ECM turns off the injectors? Thanks Art
It is possible the computer or another sensor/component is causing the injectors to shut down.You would need to test the injector signals with a test or noid light when the problem occurs to see if this is the case here.
What can cause the #3 injector to fire so fast can it be a bad internal electrical components in the distributor?
Is #4 firing as fast as well or just #3?
Just #3 #1. 2. 4. Seems to fire normal thanks Art
O.k.,#3 and #4 both fire off of the same circuit from the computer (ECM) so most likely the ECM and wiring is o.k. as #4 would be affected as well if it wasn't.

The ECM relay provides battery voltage to the injectors which pass through a resistor before feeding the injectors.We know this cant be the pulse signal from the computer because #4 would be affected as well so this sounds to possibly be a fault with the resistor assembly for the fuel injectors possibly.I don't see the relay or wiring being a fault but if the resistor for the #3 injector is failing it may cause this here.

According to my info this resistor pack should be located on the passenger side fender assembly.Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this to see this or to post here just a description of where it is located.It should have 4 black wires connected to it and one white wire with a yellow/blue wire plugging into the white wire.

I don't see this being an ecm at fault here and the only thing I can think of that may cause this since #4 and #3 are on the same circuit from the ecm is the resistor pack here.

Thanks Pete
Pete I'm sorry I meant to say the # 3 spark plug not injector I check the injectors with a light and a Macanic's thesis cope they seem to work right when I checked the #3 spark with the timing gun the pulse was to fast even at idle can this distributor have an internal electrical problem ? Thank Art
O.k.,if the cap or rotor has corrosion in it this corrosion can cause spark to jump to an area on the cap where it shouldn't and can cause this excess spark here,if you have not checked or replaced the cap and rotor this should be done,I have seen corrosion in the cap itself cause this here.I don't think this is the distributor itself as this would cause spark issues on all cylinders.

Thanks Pete
Yes I have put new plugs wires. Rotor Dis cap and coil
This is a difficult question to fully diagnose from here.I will opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can assist more.Don't reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep the question locked to me.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete
Auto Mechanic: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Yes still need help my truck still turns off when driving I accelerate and it dies can't figure it out it has a little misfire when beryl step on foot peddle Thanks Art
Auto Mechanic: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 years ago
Hello

Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
Pete, Technician