Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Hyundai $onata: 2007 sonata with 94k miles. Airbag control

2007 sonata with 94k miles. Airbag control module was not communicating with the system so my AIRBAG light was on. I got a different module froma different car, installed it and still got the light. Shop said we can now communicate with it, but that module shows a "branding" of drivers air bag deployment. Called the Hyundai tech at the dealer, he said that the deployment could not be cleared, but if I got a clean module and plugged it in, it would wash the system and light would shut off. Called the salvage yard, had them verify the other module would be "clean". Unhooked the battery (which I did and do every time) and installed and I still have the light on. Does the module have to be programmed at the dealer and was this tech ignorant or is it the module again, or can my local shop, who is awesome tell the system that this module is one of us, can they potentially hook it p, cler codes and call it good? Cant sell this car with that stupid red SRS light glaring people in the face! help please!

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will keep it up, i understand its the weekend and prob not as many guys on here

Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator
On most vehicles the air bag computer has to be programmed to the vehicle by the dealer in order to operate properly.On some models a new air bag computer has to be installed as some of them are a one time setup/program and lock to one vehicle once this is done.I am wondering if the dealer Tech meant that a new module is needed when he said a clean module is needed.I would contact the dealer again to see if this is the case.If it is then the air bag computer would need replaced with a new one and then programmed/setup by a dealer.If not and you can use a used one then most likely the dealer has to setup/program the module to operate properly in your vehicle here.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Experience: 17 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Basically told me what I already knew.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - I see you have re listed your question.. it is now listed as a Live question -

Please let me know how I can be of help to you -

Rgds, MIKE.....................................