Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

engine cranks and run for a min then dies. has new sparks plugs,wires,distruber,srs

been change,relays replace...
engine cranks and run for a min then dies. has new sparks plugs,wires,distruber,srs been change,relays replace
6/1/2013
asemastermatt
asemastermatt, ASE Certified Technician

asemastermatt :

what kind of vehicle, engine, etc...

asemastermatt :

have you checked fuel pressure?

asemastermatt :

Are there any codes?

asemastermatt :

does the vehicle stay running if you hold the throttle open?

asemastermatt :

if it stays running with the throttle open, then you probably have a idle air control issue. If it makes no difference throttle open or closed then check fuel pressure. If fuel pressure stays good and it still is cutting off, check the codes, this may lead you in the right direction.

Customer:

honda accord 1994 dx

Customer:

yes

Customer:

715

Customer:

disturbitor

Customer:

no it does not if i crank it it getsthat first start then dies

asemastermatt :

you replaced the distributor and it still has a code for the distributor?

asemastermatt :

was this a new or reman distributor?

asemastermatt :

after the engine cuts off, does it still crank?

asemastermatt :

If yes is there spark?

asemastermatt :

if there is no spark check for ignition voltage at the yellow and black wire on the coil inside the distributor with the key in the on position. if you have ignition voltage on this wire this wire and no spark when the engine is cranked, then the coil is bad.

Customer:

new

Customer:

yea it still cranks but then just dies right away again and yes spark firing on all of them

asemastermatt :

have you checked what the coolant temp sensor is reading?

Customer:

no

Customer:

and i dont think were still getting the cdode for distrubutor since we replaced it

asemastermatt :

i have seen some coolant temp sensors cause similar problems

asemastermatt :

ok

asemastermatt :

do you have a scanner that you can see engine data on?

Customer:

no i dont

Customer:

the shop that it is at might

asemastermatt :

yeah, i would look at what the temp sensor is reading, sometimes this can cause really weird problems, i had an accord one time that would read in the negative temps all the time and when it began to warm up it would flood the engine causing it to cut off

Customer:

alright anything else you think it might be

Customer:

just so i have a list of things to look at

asemastermatt :

i have had bad distributors out of the box

Customer:

wouldnt it read a bad code if it is bad?

asemastermatt :

should def look at fuel pressure if that hasn't been looked at already

asemastermatt :

no necessarily, the old accord models only had limited code capabilities

Customer:

has the mechanic said it was regular

asemastermatt :

ok

asemastermatt :

could be a bad computer, but that is not very common on hondas

asemastermatt :

distributors are a very weak link

asemastermatt :

could be ignition switch related, i have had one or two of those be bad, you could wiggle the key around and get the car to cut off

Customer:

hmmm i had a friend mention something about a ignition moduel or something

asemastermatt :

there is a fuel injection relay under the dashboard that has bad solder connections

asemastermatt :

very common on honda accords

Customer:

the main relay?

asemastermatt :

yes

Customer:

replaced it

asemastermatt :

haha

asemastermatt :

yeah

asemastermatt :

sounds like you have hit the common problems

Customer:

so far ive pretty much replaced everything to do with the fuel system besides the replacing injectors

Customer:

or the fuel pump

asemastermatt :

yeah, unless they are leaking or clogged up

asemastermatt :

they are probably not a problem and usually there would be a misfire

asemastermatt :

but the engine would still run

Customer:

we know that is working and pumping out fuel but it seems as soon as if when the key goess from acc to start if cuts of and doesnt pump anymore gas

asemastermatt :

are you loosing the voltage to the injectors? because the main fuel injection relay is what powers the injectors and the pump

Customer:

the greenish looking one in the fuse box under the hood?

Customer:

or the black one?

asemastermatt :

no

asemastermatt :

it can be a couple of different colors

asemastermatt :

usually a dark reddish brown color for the oe one

asemastermatt :

but i have seen black and grey

Customer:

oh ok well is it located in the fuse box under the hood?

asemastermatt :

and it is under the dashboard on the drivers side

Customer:

i dont think ive seen one

asemastermatt :

ok, that would be a good thing to check

asemastermatt :

that is a common problem

asemastermatt :

especially when it gets hot

asemastermatt :

it can also be called the pgmfi relay

asemastermatt :

(programmed fuel injection relay)

Customer:

i remember one time we got it to run for a couple days when we reset one of the fuses under the hood and yes it does seem to mostly not work when its been really hot out

asemastermatt :

yeah, that is probably the problem then

asemastermatt :

its not the easiest to get to in the car, you have to lay under the dash on the drivers side and there is one connector and one 10mm bolt holding it

Customer:

any other ideas lol

asemastermatt :

yeah, i would still look at the coolant temp sensor, maybe the ignition switch, really at this point you would need to check and see what goes away when the car cuts off. like fuel pressure goes away, or spark goes away, would really need to be there to check those things. but, i am leaning towards the relay right now based on what you have described now.

asemastermatt :

hopefully that leads you in the right direction!

Customer:

alright is there a way to get back in contact with you on this thing or something?

asemastermatt :

you can find me again on this website. my login name is asemastermatt

asemastermatt
asemastermatt, ASE Certified Technician
asemastermatt
asemastermatt
asemastermatt, ASE Certified Technician