Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My gas gauge and temperature gauge are not working, both are

flat-lined to the left....
My gas gauge and temperature gauge are not working, both are flat-lined to the left. Always shows EMPTY and COLD, no matter what. What can I do to fix it? PLEASE HELP
5/31/2013
SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician

SARMIENTO22556 : Hello and welcome to justanswer.com, what year, make and model is your vehicle? have you had any recent work done? are there any other things not working on the vehicle?
SARMIENTO22556 :

it has been over 15 minutes since i have asked a question. I will switch this question to Q&A mode and you can answer my foloow up question when it is convenient for you. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

2002 Chevy Malibu

yes, had water pump and radiator replaced 5/2013

left turn signal not working

A/C not working

OK thanks for the information, have you checked the fuses to see if there are any blown fuses?

yes, it is not the fuses

ok first check the gauge by locating the temp sending switch and grounding the wire, turn the key to the on position and see if the gauge goes all the way to hot. let me know if you can't find it
please double check fuse #37 in the under hood fuse panel again. this is a known failure and has caused your symptoms before.
SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician

if it is # XXXXX what do i do? if it is a known failure, should the dealer be responsible? or what?

first replace the fuse and see if it blows right away, if it does you need to troubleshoot as to the cause. no the dealer will not be responsible.

known failure just means of all the repairs i researched that the most common was fuse 37 was blown. some times the circuits are designed to just handle enough amperage and as the car gets older more amperage is required to run the circuit and a fuse will blow

SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician