Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Chev C1500 Truck: 1998 Chev Truck, above 60 MPH uphill or with

Customer Question
1998 Chev Truck, above 60...
1998 Chev Truck, above 60 MPH uphill or with load, engine is intermittanly missing. Truck has 70K on it. Replaced plugs at 60K. Have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. No engine light and no trouble codes. Looking for other things to try.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
5/26/2013
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

did you not do a complete tune up when you replaced the plugs?

tims auto repair :

did you replace the plugs only?

Customer :

No, what else should have been done?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

]always do a complete tune up all at once when replacing the plugs

Customer :

What else should have been done?

Customer :

Replaced plugs only

tims auto repair :

you need to replace the rotor,distributor cap and the plug wires

tims auto repair :

any of these can give a fit and no good way to test them

tims auto repair :

so,finish the tune up

tims auto repair :

the wires are the likely problem here

Customer :

electronic ignition - did not know it had rotor or distributor cap

tims auto repair :

yes,,this one does

tims auto repair :

also,,sense you dont get a light,,,,and if it still does this after the tune up

Customer :

okay, will do that. Any other suggestions?

tims auto repair :

check the fuel pressure..

tims auto repair :

i know you have replaced the pump

tims auto repair :

but,,it is common to get a bad/weak new pump for these vortec engines

tims auto repair :

these must have no less than 60psi at all times

Customer :

Fuel pressure was 55 PSI old pump and new one

tims auto repair :

it should never drop below 60

tims auto repair :

60-67psi

Customer :

agree - thus the new parts

tims auto repair :

low fuel pressure could cause your problem also

tims auto repair :

do a tune up,,,check the pressure

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer :

will replacing distr cap and wire have any affect on fuel pressure

tims auto repair :

no

tims auto repair :

but,,it may infact fix your miss

Customer :

then we still have a fuel issue.

Customer :

next...

tims auto repair :

well,,yes,,though it is possible for your test gauge to be off a little also

tims auto repair :

if you just get 55psi,,it still may have a pressure problem

tims auto repair :

but,,replace the wires cap and rotor

tims auto repair :

before doing anything

Customer :

hubby is the mechanic and im the typist. He said the same thing about his gage just now. Will replace Dist cap and wires and see if that solves the miss. If still missing will get another gage and retest pressure.

tims auto repair :

yes

tims auto repair :

thats what to do

Customer :

He's been under it all day, will probably do the work on Monday. If prob solved will rate and pay. If not will recontact. Thanks for now. Have a great weekend.

tims auto repair :

you are very welcome

Customer :

It beer time. Will post you when he's got that done. Thanks again!

tims auto repair :

that will be fine

tims auto repair :

thanks

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic