Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My wifes Passat 08 Wagon, stopped suddenly while driving.

My wife's Passat 08 Wagon...
My wife's Passat 08 Wagon, stopped suddenly while driving. After towing it to the garage, they told her the timing belt broke. We find it strange since the car has only been driven for 90,000km. Anyway, in order to verify the damage to the engine the mechanic wants to run a series of tests costing $500. Afterwards they'll let us know if we need to replace the engine or not. My question is what type of $500 tests they have to run to find out if the engine is damaged? And any idea how much would an engine cost if it needs be replaced? thank you.
5/24/2013
ASE Tech
ASE Tech, ASE Certified Technician

ASE Tech :

they will probably be running a compression test to determine if the valves were damaged.I would think that that test would be enough and it should not run $500. It should be more like $200 -$250.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. If the valves were damaged would this mean the whole engine needs to be changed? Any idea how much will it cost to repair damaged valves as opposed to replacing the engine?

ASE Tech :

unless it damaged a piston you should be able to just replace the head. The head should be around $2000.00 an engine around $6000.

Customer:

I plan to take the car to another garage how can I make sure they're honest? thank you

ASE Tech :

really word of mouth from other customers. Also ask to be shown the results of the test. If the compression is off they should be able to show you the gauge and see that it is bad.

Customer:

Just one last question. Were the prices you mentioned including labor? thx

ASE Tech :

yes

Customer:

thank you very much.

ASE Tech :

you are welocome

ASE Tech
ASE Tech, ASE Certified Technician

I was late on on changing the oil on my Passat by only 2km, not 2miles. The dealer says that there is only one liter left in the engine and that's what caused the engine to seize up and eventually caused the timing belt to break!! Is that possible or does he just want me to feel bad? And how can there be only 1 liter of oil left in the engine just because I'm a bit late? Or is it possible this has all happened because of a defect in the engine to start with? One last question: how many hours of work are required by the dealer to diagnose the CAUSE of the timing belt breaking, taking in consideration this is only a 90,000km, not miles, car? Thank you very much in advance.

Relist: Other.
new development
Don Knight
Don Knight, ASE Certified Technician

56000 miles is not alot of miles.It sounds like the dealer is trying to get out of a defective engine.I think I would be getting a second opinion as to the cause of the failure.

Thank you Don.

I'd love to get a second opinion but then I want VW to fix their own possibly defective engine.

The dealer wants to charge me 8 hours of labor to take the engine apart and find out if it was manufacturer defective or not?!! That's $800 which none of is it going towards repair, only diagnosis!!

In addition, the dealer wants to pin it on me because I didn't change the oil at 89,000km - the mileage now is 91,000km.

From an expert point of view,is it possible that being a bit late in changing the oil might cause the engine to seize up and break the timing belt? How possible is it for that to happen?

And finally, how can I get the dealer to admit that it's the defective engine that's the problem not the oil change?

Thank you.

You did not state as to what millage you had the previous oil change but I really dont see an excessive amount of millage difference between the 89000Km & the 91000Km you now have.If the engine is defective due to the manufacture you should not be charged the diagnostic.I have a mechanic down the road from me that only works on VW'S as I really dont think that my local dealer has any qualified mechanics.I would look around to see if you have such mechanics in your area.I dont see the dealer as trying to assist you in this matter but like I said the millage you have should not be causing this type of problem.
ASE Tech
ASE Tech
ASE Tech, ASE Certified Technician