Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Hello I have a vibration at speed and I believe it is coming

Hello I have a vibration at...
Hello
I have a vibration at speed and I believe it is coming from the rear of the vehicle and it only happens when I am going over 30-40 mph. I have checked the motor mounts and all of the ujoints which were replaced a year ago so I do not suspect them. Can someone tell me hoe do check rear wheel bearings and send some diagrams of the repair before I tear things apart? Thank you
5/15/2013
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

please explain the vibration

tims auto repair :

does it make a humming noise?

Customer: Hello it is a high frequency small type of vibration I thought it might be my tire so I rotated them all and nothing changed
tims auto repair :

so

tims auto repair :

does it bounce the jeep?

Customer: No it's a real light vibration I just don't want something to come loose on my way to work
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it get louder in turns?if so.right or left?

Customer: No it's not a cv joint no clicking I've fixed those before
tims auto repair :

ok,,from the way you explain..it does sound as if you may have a bad wheel bearing

tims auto repair :

the problem is to determine which one

tims auto repair :

please stand by..i will get you the procedure to replace it

Customer: Okay thanks. The rear are. Heap the front are about 100$ each as an assembly any ideas on isolating which one could be out.
Customer: The rear are cheap
tims auto repair :

well..it should make a difference when swirving left or right,,as it shifts the weight of the jeep

tims auto repair :

what is your jeep?4wd or 2wd?..is it a grand?

Customer: I will have to check that at speed
tims auto repair :

yes,,

tims auto repair :

but the proceedure will be the same for either side

tims auto repair :

basicly

Customer: Its four wheel regular Cherokee 4.0
tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

stand by

tims auto repair :

REMOVAL
1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove axle shaft.

14_cr01cherk_3-132b.png
Full Size Image

3. Remove axle shaft seal from the end of the axle tube with a small pry bar (Fig. 19).

NOTE: The seal and bearing can be removed at the same time with the bearing removal tool.

35_cr01cherk_3-132c.png
Full Size Image

4. Remove axle shaft bearing with Bearing Removal Tool Set 6310 and Adapter Foot 6310-9 (Fig. 20).

INSTALLATION
1. Wipe the axle tube bore clean. Remove any old sealer or burrs from the tube.
2. Install the axle shaft bearing with Installer C-4198 and Handle C-4171. Ensure bearing is installed straight and the tool is in contacts with the axle tube when seating the bearing.

NOTE: Install bearing with part number against the installer.

3. Install a new axle seal with Installer C-4076-B and Handle C-4735-1. When the tool contacts the axle tube, the seal is installed to the correct depth.
4. Coat the lip of the seal with axle lubricant for protection prior to installing the axle shaft.
5. Install the axle shaft.
6. Check and fill gear lubricant.
7. Remove support and lower vehicle.

tims auto repair :

AXLE SHAFTS
REMOVAL
1. Place the transmission in NEUTRAL and raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
3. Remove brake drum (Refer to BRAKES AND TRACTION CONTROL) .
4. Clean all foreign material from housing cover area.
5. Remove the housing cover and drain lubricant.

84_cr01cherk_3-131a.png
Full Size Image

6. Rotate differential case to access the pinion mate shaft lock screw. Remove lock screw and pinion mate shaft from differential case (Fig. 16).

32_cr01cherk_3-131b.png
Full Size Image

7. Push axle shaft inward then remove axle shaft C-lock (Fig. 17).
8. Remove axle shaft being careful not to damage shaft bearing and seal.
9. Inspect axle shaft seal for leakage or damage.
10. Inspect axle shaft bearing contact surface for signs of brinelling, galling and pitting.

INSTALLATION
1. Lubricate bearing bore and seal lip with gear lubricant. Insert axle shaft through seal, bearing and engage it into side gear splines.

NOTE: Use care to prevent shaft splines from damaging axle shaft seal lip.

2. Insert C-lock in end of axle shaft. Push axle shaft outward to seat C-lock in side gear.
3. Insert pinion shaft into differential case and through thrust washers and differential pinions.
4. Align hole in shaft with hole in the differential case and install lock screw with Loctite on the threads. Tighten lock screw to 11 Nm (8 ft. lbs.).
5. Install cover and fill with gear lubricant.
6. Install brake drum (Refer to BRAKES AND TRACTION CONTROL).
7. Install wheel and tire assemblies.
8. Remove support and lower vehicle.

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

thanks for using justanswer

Tim's Auto Repair
Hello Tim
Any idea where I can get the removal/installation tool or can I get by using something else?
most auto parts stores will sell or load an inner bearing puller..you must have an inner bearing puller
thanks
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic