Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

97 Acura CL 2.2 stalls after driving a mile or 2, sooner if

97 Acura CL 2.2 stalls after driving a mile or 2, sooner if weather is warm. Was having fault code for low flow to egr valve and cleaned ports and I am not getting any check engine light. Even with stalling issue. Car will not restart after stalling and sat for 10 days before it started. I let it run and at warm up, pulled parking brake and put it in drive and it stalled in 2 minutes and would not restart. I have a gnarly looking set of 3 ground wires on drivers side of engine- one attaches to valve cover bolt. I cleaned each point of contact but the insulation is gone about 5 inches up from bottom where it attaches to frame and copper is green and wonder if it should be replaced. I do have the factory service manual as I have had to put an ignitor in it, cap, rotor and the flange broke off on distributor when corroded screws were being removed so I replaced with used and set timing according to factory- there really is almost no adjustment to timing the way distributor is made. Wonder if ground issue I mentioned or speed sensor on tranny or if it needs to go on machine at Acura dealer. Don't want to spend any more needless money on car
Hi Im Tom and Im here to assist you with your issue today .Is the vehicle cranking over and not starting now and is it missing fuel or spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Started up (1st time I have tried in over a week) and is running fine

OK the most common issue is a faulty main relay was this ever replaced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

not by me

Ok thats what needs to be done next these are known to fail an cause this exact issue.Easily done yourself .Let me post the directions for you .This is for a RL but same procedure.
ClickHere
This would be the next step to fix this issue .Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Part is $80.00 so I'll have to raise some cash- on fixed income. Will move as fast as I can. I want to see this thing on the road

Ok you can actually remove it and solder it yourself to fix it .Also a salvage yard will sell it for about 10 dollars.
ClickHere
Remember Im here if you need any further assistance for anything at all just let me know.Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where is the main relay located- under hood?

Under drivers dash.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am an electronics tech and resoldered all the connections. After I reinstall tomorrow and test, I will give good rating. I tried for an hour to get that thing back in and will remove a bracket tomorrow to reinstall. I am not a young man anymore. Thanks for your patience

Anytime thats why Im here .Im ready to continue when you are.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just got the car back together and running. I have had this car towed 7 times for this problem. I need to drive it for a couple days to be sure the problem was corrected by resoldering the board. I resoldered all the solder contact points as I saw two bad spots and did the whole board because it probably had other weak contacts. I don't need constant reminders. If I am satisfied car is repaired, I'll rate your service. Constantly emailing me to do so seems desperate and has become annoying. Please be patient.

Thank you

Sorry but Im not in charge of the emails thats an automated service done by the web site so please do not hold that against me glad the cars fixed.Rate excellent service when you are ready .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Test drove the car, got about 1/2 mile from house and check engine light came on for egr valve low flow code PO401. I have previously pulled the egr and replaced it when this code came on, but put the old one back on after new one didn't correct the problem. I previously was on this site with another mechanic who told me to clean the ports under the valve with carb cleaner and flexible brush which I have done 3 times and cleaned the egr valve. I drove the car 20 miles after repairing the relay board and it ran great, no fault codes. Drove today and egr problem popped up. Afraid to drive the car even though it is running good because before I repaired the main relay, when the check engine light came on, the car was stalling shortly after and I thought the stalling was related to the egr. When I reset computer (disconnected negative terminal for a minute), light would stay off for a few miles then back on. This is the first time light has come on since repair and again, after driving the car for 20 miles with no problems yesterday. Could this be an electrical issue also? I didn't keep driving car due to past experience of car stalling. Car drove back home fine with no stalling, but this needs fixed. Are you in a position to help with this or do I need to go to the dealer?

Thanks

OK well I fixed the staling issue thats the main relay the vehicle is still safe to drive.You need to replace the EGR valve and clean the ports even better there is still carbon in there use a lot of carb cleaner and you can install a piece of hanger in a drill to clear the ports this will take care of the issue.Very glad to help .Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.