Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Hyundai Sonata: I have a2004 hyundai sonata that hit a big

I have a2004 hyundai sonata that hit a big dip in the road going about 70 with a lot of weight in the trunk and it died right after we hit the dip. Any ideas what could have come loose or broke from hitting the dip hard.

Hi Jennifer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If the vehicle had bottomed out (hit ground/road) when this dip was hit in the road I would check under the vehicle where the bottom out feel is located and see if any wiring or electrical components are damaged at all.

If it did not bottom out next I would have fuel pressure,spark and fuel injector pulses checked to see which is missing here.If you have a spark tester or timing light you can check spark this way and fuel pressure will require a fuel pressure test gage to test the pressure.If you have these tools or want to know how to test these let me know.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do you do the fuel pressure test on the car? We've done everything else and changed the cam shaft position sensor because that's the code my code reader gave us was for the camshaft position sensor circuit. It still won't start and fuel pump is working but we can't find the Schrader valve to do the pressure test on the fuel pump

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Apparently the cam is not turning?! We can't figure out how we were getting spark without the cam turning. So, what could be preventing the cam from turning other than a broken timing belt?

I apologize for the delay.

In some cases this can be caused by the timing belt itself broken or stripped teeth,the cam bearings have seized onto the camshafts possibly or possibly even bent valve in the cylinder head jamming the cam shaft possibly from turning.

All of these would need to be checked into further to locate the issue that is causing this then it can be repaired to correct it from there.If there are bent valves this can be a result of the timing belt breaking or stripped teeth on it and the cylinder heads would need removed and either repaired or replaced as well as the timing belt replaced.

I hope this has helped and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

You were correct. A metal piece broke and shot through the engine breaking the timing belt and and the valves.