Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Land Rover LR Discovery: The car is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery

The car is a 2004...
The car is a 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2. We took it in and had extensive ($2,700) work on it: replave both valve cover gaskets, replace oil cooler plug o-ring, front driveshaft, exhause flange gasket, replace serpentine belt, timing cover gasket, o-ring heater pipe intake, crankshaft seal & speed seal, water pump gasket, o-ring cam senser, oil change and antifreeze added. When picked up car we thought it strange it had 500 extra miles on it. Then two weeks later it over heated very quickly and the block cracked. The shop refused to admint they either overlooked something major or made a mistake.
We took the car to another shop and they replaced the engine ($3,800). Works good. (2 cylinder gasket heads, intake gasket, donor engine, intake gasket & main gasket, timing chain, timing cover, 4 exhause manifold gaskets, 2 black flex tubes etc to get the engine going. My question to you is should we pay the first people or take them to court or pay half or what?
5/7/2013
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Eclayton4 :

Let me first ask, Did the second repair facility give you any explanation as to what caused the engine to overheat quickly and crack? thanks.

Eclayton4 :

Hello, are you there.

Eclayton4 :

?

Customer:

hole in cylinder block behind the sleeve. Steel piston rubbed up agiainst cylinder wall and a hole formed and had misfires and liquid ran out.

Eclayton4 :

OK, In my opinion, this failure was related to what the initial repair facility did or did not do, as these engines are not known for blowing connecting rods out of the cylinder block. However, getting the second repair facility to give you a "cause of failure" will be critical if you do elect to take the first repair facility to court.

Eclayton4 :

In my opinion, they should honor at least 1/2 of the repair bill, The dealership I work out would have fixed it no questions asked. all of it. Any shop that doesn't stand behind at least a 12/12 warranty does not last long. And reputation is everything in the car business. Have you told them you are thinking about legal action yet?

Customer:

I think the first guys didn't catch what was wrong, too. The second car guy is friends with the first. Its near Golden CO. Just took car in and said fix to the first people. The did a lot of stuff but did not catch this. He won;t rat out his competitor because they all have to get along in the area

Eclayton4 :

I understand.

Eclayton4 :

Have you paid the first people yet?

Customer:

No, I just got it taken off credit Card. (This credit card has a thing that if you're not happy you can take it off.) haven't decided what to do yet. Incidentally they said we could give them another $700 and we could try to mend the existing bad block. They couldn;t promise if it would take. So we had it towed to the next people (A Scottish gentleman that has really worked very hard to make everything better. Got car back tonight. He said to bring it back after a little while to make sure that all is good. He has been so nice. Unlike other guys. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX me feel better about it. I need to figure next move.

Customer:

Love Am EX.

Customer:

Am. Express

Eclayton4 :

OK, I would not pay that first repair facility a dime, and simply tell them, their work is shotty at best, and you have suffered immensely from not having your vehicle. Let them take you to court. Any judge in my opinion will side with you, or at the very least split it down the middle. If you don't feel comfortable in doing that, I would settle for a much reduced payment, and tell them if they do not accept that, you will tell every person you know in town not to use their business, Their "repair" lasted 2 weeks, and that is definitely not industry standards. I would sit tight and see how worried they are about it when you tell them you will tell the entire town not to use them, and you don't mind going to court. I know that sounds somewhat abrasive, however, They shouldn't demand money for a problem they caused in my opinion.

Customer:

Thank you. I agree.

Customer:

I will let you know how it turns out...

Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician