Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Isuzu experts only how to replace thermostat on 98 trooper

5/6/2013
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech

Steve :

Thanks for trusting me to help you with your car today. I am a certified mechanic with over 25 years of experience. I look forward to working with you

Customer :

hi

Steve :

You remove the Disconnect radiator hose from the thermostat inlet pipe after draining the radiator inlet pipe. You remove the thermostat housing then replace the thermostat. I will send you a picture.

Customer :

i herd u take off intake manifold

Steve :

You do not need to remove the intake manifold, Maby they are talking about the upper manifold?

Customer :

can u check that out for me

Steve :

You do have a upper manifold that covers everything I think that is what they are talking about.

Customer :

do u have directions and do i need a new gasket or can u reuse the old one

Steve :

It is a o ring or rubber gasket for the upper intake manifold which can be re used, on the thermostat gasket I would replace it for sure. to prevent a coolant leak.

Customer :

ok do u have anything for the upper intake

Customer :

r u sure its just the upper they want like 450 to do this job

Steve :

The thermostat or the part is 25 dollars the labor is 2.5 hours If the shop charges 100 dollars ans hour the cost is going to be around 300 dollars including the part labor and tax. Are they charging you check out time with the 450?

Customer :

i think a 100 for the orings and tax

Steve :

That would take you up to 400

Steve :

what about the check out for the concern?

Customer :

may be

Steve :

If they are including the check out time, then that is about right for what they are charging you.

Customer :

it was just over the phone but you dont know for sure on if its the whole intake or not

Steve :

You have not paid for any check out, and it is not at a shop, you are just calling around?

Steve :

Or you have a concern, the shop checked it out, and they are telling you it is going to cost 450 dollars?

Customer :

yep i think i can do it for her but just would like exact instructions

Steve :

This is a friends ride, you are trying to help a person out?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

u have helped me before

Customer :

only with fords though

Steve :

Great I am glad you are a repeat customer, was I successful in helping you out before?

Customer :

yep i always ask for u on any ford product

Steve :

I used to work in a shop that serviced Isuzu along with Fords and I was always helping the Isuzu mechanic out. I do know about Isuzu.

Customer :

so do you have exact instructions

Steve :

• The thermostat for the 3.5 Liter is under a flange bolted to the top of the block (in the valley), connected to it is a black pipe that connects to the lower radiator hose. This flange has four bolts that are accessed only after removing the intake manifold. Removing the housing that connects to the upper radiator housing optional. i will get you instructions on removing the intake hang on.

Customer :

ok

Steve :

To remove the intake manifold click here

Customer :

that looks like just the upper r u sure the whole intake doesn't come off

Steve :

After you get the top of you will see the bolts to get the bottom part off.

Customer :

so it is upper and lower

Steve :

That is correct you will need to remove the top and the bottom for easy access

Customer :

what is the skill level for this

Steve :

If you have a woblly 1/4XXXXXyou do not need to remove the intake at all.

Customer :

i do

Customer :

its jus craftsmam

Steve :

use a a 1/4 inch extension and ratchet you do not need remove the intack

Customer :

ok anything else

Steve :

that is it

Customer :

thanks for ur time i will let u know

Steve :

ome Your welc

Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech

Thanks Steve took me a 2 hours broke my 1/4 12mm wobbler though on the easiest to get to bolt used a 3/8 12mm wobbler for that thanks again

Your welcome,

Glad you go it fixed My tools I buy from snap on, and never had one break. If it does I get another for free.

sears has the same replacement policy should be able to take it back and get it replaced.

Yeah i Know they were very tight though I did the hardest to get to first and it broke on the easiest one so i got lucky but really that in take didnt look that hard i had to pull throttle body off to get to the bolts so I think I would have been alright thanks again

your welcome
Steve
Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech