Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

land rover Discovery 1: I have a 1997 land rover discovery…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 land...
I have a 1997 land rover discovery 1. When I got it it had a hole in the side of the transmission but the engine would crank and run. Now that I have fixed the transmission the security system won't let me crank it. I don't have a key fob or factory key.What do I need to do
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
5/6/2013
Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 5 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is Eddie and I will do all I can to help. Have you disconnected the positive battery cable yet? Try this and let me know what happens.

Eclayton4 :

Disconnect the Positive Battery Cable.
Open the Drivers Door & Leave Open.
Turn Ignition Switch to ON Position (run)
Reconnect Positive Battery Cable.
Horn may sound for a few seconds.
Start Vehicle.

Eclayton4 :

Hey just following up, were you able to reset the alarm? thanks.

JACUSTOMER-fp8hyxjn- : No that didn't work but I have the dash out would that affect the reset
Eclayton4 :

It's possible, but that is the only instructions I have to reset the security system. Let me opt out and then your question gets put back on the board for all the other experts to see. If someone else has another suggestion they can then respond. Thank you.

Auto Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 5 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Hi, my name is Tim, does the starter turn over but it does not start, or does the starter not even turn?
The starter doesn't even turn
ok, to determone if its in the security system, put the key in the start position and hold it there for 10 seconds, if it does not turn over after 10 seconds, its not in the security system, can you try this?
just tried it and it did not crank
Do you have any idea what it could be
IF IT DID NOT CRANK AFTER 10 SECONDS, ITS NOT THE SECURITY SYSTEM, IT WILL BE IN THE STARTER SYSTEM, do you have a volt meter or a test light, we can check the starter real quick?
Well what requires the security stem to disarm because I've looked up some wiring diagrams at all data unplugged the theft alarm unit and jumped a few wires and it would crank
which wires did you jump?
I can't remember
do you have a voltmeter or test light, we could do some checks/
Yes but I'm not with the vehicle
when will you be with the vehicle? I could help you diagnose this,Tim
About 4:30

let me know when you are on

What you want me to test first
we need to check the small wire at the starter for power when the key is in the start position, can oyu do this?>
I did not have power
does this have the auto trans or the manual?
auto
Have you tried putting the trans in nuetral and seeing if it starts?
Yes
ok, then we need to check the fuse F17 in the fuse box inside the cab, we need to know if it has 12 volts when the key is in the start position, can you do this?