Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a tricky one here and would like to get your input:

Customer Question

RR 2005 HSE 4.4 (M62 engine)
93000mi
Error code: Bank 1 retarded timing
Background information:
The started making the engine rattle/knocking noise where at first impression one thinks that the chain is lose and the chain rail is bad. My friend, who owns a shop, and I fixed a BMW 740 (same engine) about 3 months ago where the chain and the rails had gone bad and the noise was almost identical. The BMW was very sludged up – we scraped chuncks out of the oil pan and only had to do the chains, not the Vanos (for comparison)
Now here is the challenge:
1) We changed the chains and both VANOS (!) along with the all tensioners and believe it or not the noise is still there!
a. I know that the timing is spot on – 1000% !
2) We switched the Vanos Solenoid from side to side with no change in error code – the Solenoid seems ok and I assume if they were broken I would get a different error message.
3) We checked the stop valve behind the solenoid which is ok (only for start up anyway)
4) We checked the oil pressure at the oil filter which is all right as well (around 45psi/3bar I think I remember)
There is not a whole lot left that can be done here….I am dreading to do the next step (oil pump change – 14 labor hours!!) before I have ruled out other potential causes.
Our suspicion is that the oil pump which seem to have 2 outgoing feeder pipes - where the smaller one of the feeder pipes is delivering oil to the Solenoid which feeds it into the Vanos might be blocked – we unscrewed the Solenoid to see if there is oil being delivered and it seems too little oil delivery to feed the Vanos to build an oil cushion to adjust to the solenoid timing change requests (+/- 20 degrees, default fully retarded -20 degrees)
A long shot would be to spray carb cleaner into/at the Solenoid valve canal and therefore down to the feeder pipe/oil pump but I would feel better if I had an oil flow diagram of the engine which is nowhere to be found…(I checked on the bimmer sites already..)
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Sorry for the long wait, this area of concern is not my strong point but I will try to help as best I can at least with some information if your still needing help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Chris - it is almost 11pm! A bit late for that, no?

If this is not your strong suit how can you help me then? I am pretty advanced myself as you can see by the details I provided you with.

are you asking me to opt out so you can continue waiting for another? I only approached you because so far everyone in the past 8 hours has decided not to help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate that Chris however unless you are sure you know the answer it is probably the best option. Thanks

At your request I will opt out, if you find your tired of waiting, then reply on this post and I will see it and try to help. DO NOT reply until then or until another starts helping or your post will be locked only to me.