Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

We have a 2006 Range Rover Sport in the shop in Alamosa,

Customer Question
We have a 2006 Range...

We have a 2006 Range Rover Sport in the shop in Alamosa, Colorado. It has been stored all winter, and the battery did get low. Now, with battery charged up, the Control Panel is showing Fault Code HFDC, and the little red icon on the bottom left of the speedometer gauge shows a vehicle diagram from back with an arrow pointing down and arrows pointing side to side. The farthest the guys in Alamosa can get with their diagnosic equipment is something having to do with Dynamic Stability Control system. The Control Panel (HFDC) fault warning goes off after a while, but the red light on the gauge stays on. Can you help me, please? The nearest Land Rover dealership is either Glenwood Springs or Santa Fe, and they are both 5 hours from my vehicle. Thank you. Robert P. XXX  XXX-XXX-XXXX

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
4/15/2013
Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 4 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Eclayton4 :

the HDC control system stands for (Hill Decent Control). and is part of the traction control system.

Eclayton4 :

If the Panel is showing a fault for the HDC system, then you will have a trouble code stored which will need to be retrieved via a specific Land Rover scan tool, or an advanced type scan tool capable of getting into the HDC systems data stream.

Eclayton4 :

Has your tech been able to retrieve the codes?

Eclayton4 :

Also, how does the ride height look right now? Is the truck sitting too low? or does it look to be of normal ride height?

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

I am told by Automotive Concepts in Alamosa, Colorado, that the fault code showing on the console is "HFDC" as in my earlier e-mail, not just "HDC." Also, I was expecting you to address the fact that a red light is on the gauge console, which shows a schematic of a vehicle and an arrow pointing down and arrows pointing in either direction across the top of the red light schematic. Simply telling me I need a better diagnostic tool is not what I was expecting. We are very far from any Land Rover dealership, and need more specific information as to what the problem could be associated with this fault code. Thank you. *****@******.***

Eclayton4 :

I'm trying to see if they have retrieved the codes, and if so, what codes are stored. If they cannot retrieve the codes, in my opinion, they are not qualified to properly diagnose the concern. Usually the fault can be traced to a stuck transfer case clutch, which can be alleviated with a new software download.

Eclayton4 :

I have not given an answer yet, I'm only trying to get as much information as possible from you to understand the entire situation.

Eclayton4 :

The site blocks any personal email and phone numbers as well Robert, your number looks like this to me.

Eclayton4 :

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Eclayton4 : ***@******.***
Eclayton4 :

Any personal numbers or email addresses are against site rules unfortunately.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

Eddie, let me try again without the e-mail address. The shop "Automotive Concepts" in Alamosa, Colorado, says the fault code which shows up on the control panel is "HFDC", and a red light comes on at the bottom of the speedometer gauge cluster that shows a schematic of a car, with arrows pointing down and side to side. The shop believes it is a fault code having to do with the stability control system. We are stuck, and afraid to drive the car. Can you give us a bit more information about what this problem could be, other than we need to go to a Land Rover dealership?

Eclayton4 :

Yes, It is a fault code having to do with the Stability Control System. I agree with that.

Eclayton4 :

However, their are literally a hundred reasons why that can happen, from wheel speed sensors, to acceleration sensors, to transfer case motors. So I can't begin to speculate as to WHAT code is stored.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

What issues does this fault code usually involve? We are

Eclayton4 :

I'm in NC, and not familiar with Automotive concepts in CO.

Eclayton4 :

However, one question to ask them is this, either they,

Eclayton4 :

A. Can retrieve the code,

Eclayton4 :

or B. Cannot retrieve the code.

Eclayton4 :

If they cannot retrieve the code, then they have no way to properly diagnose the concern.

Eclayton4 :

If your ride height isn't lowered, and you don't notice any bouncing around curves, you can still drive it. Does the vehicle drive normally? or is the ride height changed?

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

Thank you. I will call JE Robinson Service in the morning. I appreciate your attempt to help. I was simply expecting to get some answer that would help the shop cure the matter. To my knowledge, the ride height has not been lowered or changed, but I suppose the dead battery could have affected the ride height in some way.

Eclayton4 :

Usually the fault can be traced to a stuck transfer case clutch, that is a common issue with these, which can be alleviated with a new software download. However, without retrieving the code, and knowing what code is stored, (which I was hoping they could do) It is somewhat of a guess.

Eclayton4 :

As long as the ride height isn't too low, and you don't notice any bouncing around curves, you can drive it.

Eclayton4 :

Thank you Robert, Main thing is, be sure no overheating of the engine, and no oil pressure issues or oil light on, otherwise, I would drive it. This is somewhat of a technical issue that does require some Land Rover specific diagnostic ability and equipment. If they don't have it, then in my opinion, they may not be able to diagnose this problem correctly. And you really don't want to guess with these as it can get expensive in a hurry.

Eclayton4 :

So in summary, if they can't even retrieve the fault code that is stored, I would not let them attempt to repair the problem.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

Thank you, ***** ***** can tell you are really trying to help. Robert

Eclayton4 :

Also, It's very possible you don't need any parts at all,

Eclayton4 :

Over time, the clutches in the transfer case can wear, and all that is needed is a recalibration and a software download.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

We will see if AAA will tow the vehicle to Santa Fe or Glenwood Springs where there is a Larn Rover dealership, but this goons up our vacation. Not your fault, and you seem like a very nice person trying to help. Our family appreciates you time and candor. Robert

Eclayton4 :

Did you notice any strange noises? or feel any bump in the driveline? or did the light just come on under normal driving conditions?

Eclayton4 :

I try to help all I can. Through email however, I am somewhat limited.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

The light came on during normal driving conditons on paved road. Any chance the battery going dead over the winter contributed to the problem, as we had no fault codes prior to storing the vehicle over the winter. I do appreciate the limitations of e-mail, which is why services like this just can't solve everything. Thank you. Robert

Eclayton4 :

It possible, as a low voltage concern can affect modules especially SRS modules. Try this, Remove the battery negative cable for about 5 minutes. Reinstall the battery neg. cable and see if the light is out. If not, and the ride height is fine, and you don't feel any bounces around curves, or hear anything abnormal, then in my opinion the vehicle is fine to drive. It's most likely a sensor issue or a software issue, and that will not cause any harm to drive the vehicle.

JACUSTOMER-dls9xo20- :

What you are saying is, if we disconnect the negative cable on the battery for five minutes, reconnect, and the red light and fault code is still there, we should check the following: 1) is the ride height okay, and 2) do we feel bounces around curves or hear anything abnormal. If we don't experience (1) and (2) above, but the fault code lights still appear, then the fix will have to be done at a facility that has the "in depth" and correct Land Rover equipment. Correct?

Eclayton4 :

That is correct. In other words, If you do not experience any abnormal driving symptoms, then I would not be afraid to drive the vehicle indefinitely until you can get it looked at.

Eclayton4 :

I just don't want you to have to pay for a tow bill or be stranded when I feel the vehicle is fine to drive.

Eclayton4 :

At the very worst, you may have some 4wd issues, but if your planning on staying on pavement, it will be fine.

Eclayton4 :

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask. Thank you.

Hello Robert, Thought I would follow back up. Did you get the truck properly diagnosed? Are you driving it now with no problems?
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician