Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2006: I have a 2006 Nissan Titan King cab. It was running smooth

I have a 2006 Nissan...
I have a 2006 Nissan Titan King cab. It was running smooth with a 78200 miles. The condenser fan suddenly stopped working but I already have the fan checked if it needs to be replaced but it is still working. It just don't run as the compressor runs on and off then after a 2 days my Service engine soon light came on. I need help please...
4/14/2013
Pete, Technician

Hi Dennis,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Have you had the fault codes checked/read out for the check engine light with a code reader or scan tool that can communicate with this vehicles computers?If so what code(s) were set?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Hi pete,

I just figured out the SES light. The code is U1000 and its just about a loose ground connection. But the condenser fan, still can't figure it out. Relay is good, fuse are good.

Is the engine over heating and/or is this when using the ac and does the ac still blow cold?

Is the temperature where you are at cold outside?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Engine is not overheating when using A/C, it's not really cold. Condenser fan is not working. No electric current going to the fan. Tested it with the wire with a bulb. Its 81degrees right now.

O.k.,your engine fan comes on with coolant temperature if the temperature if the coolant temperature is to hot or heating up,air conditioner switch on and refrigerant pressure getting to high.

If your engine is not getting as hot as it used to or isn't heating up enough the fan wont turn on.If the freon level is low in the ac system this can also cause a problem with turning this fan on.

Was the recall performed on this vehicle by a dealer for the condenser fan problem?

I've seen it from the carfax that it was already brought there for the recall. It was working about a month when I got thi s truck. I'm just guessing when it stop, maybe it was the fan or relay or fuse. I got the fan check and it is perfectly working, fuse and relay is good. The fan should turn on as the compressor turns on right?

When the ac refrigerant pressure reaches to high then the condenser fan will kick on to cool the condenser to lower the ac pressures.If the freon level is low then the pressures may not get high enough to turn on the fan in some cases or if the outside temperatures isn't extremely hot as well.
Pete, Technician

Hi Pete,

I just went to A/C Technician and he said that he cannot charge the freon right if I'm not gonna make the Condenser fan work. Its 87 degrees here today and the fan is suppose to be working.

Was the freon level checked at all?(did the tech evacuate the ac system to see if it was low on freon)

No. Because I requested it to charge it so I can see if its gonna work because its gonna build pressure right? And he said that he can't charge it right if the fan will not work.

It can be recharged with the fan not working like this but some ac specialists may not recharge the ac system until a component at fault is repaired and this may be what happened here.

Its tough to say if it is low on freon though causing the fan to not operate with the ac on,if the freon is low then the fan may not kick on.It may also be a computer fault causing this fan to stay off as well.

It is difficult to say from here if this is a low on freon issue or if there is a fault with the computer control to turn on this fan.This may need further investigation/testing involving more test equipment and a dealers scan tool to be sure.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Well, I dont know yet. Because the way you replied me the last time is like just go to the dealer.

Relist: Other.
Maybe you can give me to a Nissan mechanic specialist that is familiar with my Nissan Titan.
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

I am a 20 plus year Nissan Tech. I will try to do my best to assist you with your issue.

First you mentioned you have a U1000 correct? Do you have any other issues with the truck or any other warning lights on beside the fan?

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Well, it's just my condenser fan that is not working. Compressor is working on and off. Already checked the relay and fuse and the fan itself and it's all working. I just don't know why when I test the wire that connects to the condenser fan, it has no current.

The AC compressor comes on?

Yes. I understand if the Temp. outside is cold and it might not turn on but itwas 87 degrees yesterday here in el paso and the fan doesnt turn on. The a/c only gets cold when I'm moving and the wind blows toward the condenser.

I didn't say that. The AC should come on if turned on no matter what temp. That is what I was asking.

Yes it does.

Ok that is good.

Do you have a test light to check fuses?

yes I do.

By the IPDM there should be a Big 40 Amp fuse for the Fan. Please use a test light to check that fuse and all fuses for me, and let me know. Thanks Jay!

Ok I'll let you know tomorrow. Its already dark. Thanks Jay.

Ok.

Just so you know when you can find me. I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm.

Thanks Jay!

A'ight man appreciate.

Your welcome!

Hey bro! sorry to bother you but I was researching about the fuse that you told me. Are you talking about the "F/L 40 Amp Rad Fan"?

Yes.

Sorry, it's a 25 amp fuse. Here is it's location

Hey bro. My IPDM matches your picture but I only have 4 wires on it and I dont have the gray wire on the middle. My wires are all on the four corner starting from left upper corner is green then right upper corner is blue with black stripe then on the left bottom corner is white with red stripe then on the right bottom corner is brown.

You don't have that fuse of to the side?

I do have the fuse and it is working. But the gray wire on the middle no. It seems that your connector has 6 wires on it and mine is just the 4 corners of the connector.

I was mainly focusing on the fuse!. Let me see if I can find the wiring diagram.

It's possible it's either a Ecm issue or a IPDM issue. There is a warranty extension on the fan, but if it's not getting power, then it's not the fan.

Give me a few
Can you read a wiring diagram, cause by the looks of it, it's a IPDM issue.

Yeah, a little bit.

This wiring diagram is pretty basic. Click HERE to download it.

If you have power going in to the IPDM at Pin 22, then you have a bad IPDM.

Thanks Jay!

This is the E-120 connector that I have has 4 wires its on 19, 21,22,24. 19 is green/ 21 is blue with black stripe/ 22 is white with white stripe and 24 with brown wire. I tested it with the test light its only the green that lights up. Should the engine be running when I test it?

You want to turn the truck on, and turn the AC on. That should have the CPU in the IPDM command the fan to come on. So at that point you want to see if you have power going into the IPDM, and Power at that Big 25 Amp fuse. Don't worry about any of the wire color differences. You only focusing on the fan issue, so work on that.

If you have no power at that fuse, then the IPDM is not able to ground the coil side of the internal relay to command the fans to come on.

Thanks Jay!

Hey bro. Im sorry I wasn't able to reply back right away coz I just came back from the field exercise. Anyway, I tested the fuse and It has power wether I turn thee A/C on or off.

Thanks Dennnis.

So does the fan have power?

No. Does any of the wires that I have is connected directly to the fan?

You checked for power at the fan with the AC on?

There is a warranty extension on the condensor fan, but if it's electrical, that is on you.

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Condenser fan is Perfectly working, but no power. It maybe electrical. Now, is there a wire that I can see from E-120 that goes directly to the Condenser fan?

It goes right from the IPDM to the Fan. Click HERE to download the wiring diagram so you can perform the electrical checks.

Thanks Jay!
Pete, Technician