fordtech25
fordtech25, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN, WITH ADVANCED LEVEL CERTS.11 YEARS WITH FORD, 4 YEARS GENERAL AUTO.
49638932

Suzuki Xl7: Hi! My Suzuki xl7 2008 didnt start so its at

Hi! My Suzuki xl7 2008 didn't start so it's at the mechanic. He says my car needs a new timing chain & to do the work he needs to remove the car motor so the price is 3,700. My question is: is that right or can I get a better price?

Hi I would like to help you out. 3,700 does seem expensive for this repair. Going by all-data which lists labor times, it calls for 10.6 hours to replace the timing chains. No where in the workshop manual states the engine needs to be removed from the vehicle. So this is most likely where the extra money and labor is coming in. If its not needed to pull the engine I would not. There are three timing chains in there, one primary and two secondary chains. Those three chains should cost about $360, plus engine oil, coolant, any related gaskets and seals etc. I could see $1000 in parts here. 10.6 hours labor at a dealership rate of $100/hr would only be $1060. So I'm thinking $2,000 - $2,500 would be a fair price for this job. In this situation I think the dealer may be cheaper and I think a second opinion the diagnoses would be a could idea to see if the diagnose was even correct. Any other questions or concerns please reply. Thanks