Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

if your car has been sittimg for say 3 or 4 yrs what would

Customer Question

if your car has been sittimg for say 3 or 4 yrs what would you put in gas tank to clean or flush it out with
Category: Car
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, acetone is a good cleaner for fuel tanks. If the car has been sitting for 3 - 4 years you really should remove the tank from the car in order to clean it. Your biggest concern will be rust inside the tank. You can pour in a gallon of acetone and work it around the tank and see if it comes clean. After that I would just use a laundry detergent like Tide mixed with water to clean the inside. Rinse the tank thoroughly and let it dry in the sun. If the tank is really bad I would recommend contacting some radiator shops in your area and see if any of them are experienced in the urethane coating process for the inside of the tank. After a thorough cleaning of the tank they will coat the inside of the tank with urethane to seal in any remaining rust and loose particles.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.