Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2001 isuzu rodeo that keeps blowing the Meter 15 amp

Customer Question
fuse, I changed out the...
I have a 2001 isuzu rodeo that keeps blowing the Meter 15 amp fuse, I changed out the instrument cluster but that did not get rid of the short, the fuse is still blowing. Any Ideas?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2013
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 4 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is Amedee and I can assist you with your question.

When does this fuse blow? Right when it is inserted into place or when you turn the key on?

Do you have a wiring diagram for this fuse?

When you turn the key on.

Thank you for that information.

Is this an LS or an S model?

What size engine do you have?

Is this 4wd?

It's the LS model, v6,4wd

Paul,

If you disconnect the connector from the instrument cluster and turn the key on, does the fuse blow?

Yes the fuse still blows, my son hooked up a new battery backwards and since then the meter fuse blows, after looking at the wiring diagram I was kind of leaning toward the alternator being bad. What's your thoughts?

Paul,

There are 4 other possible causes that can cause this fuse to blow besides the wiring and instrument cluster. They are the multiplexed indicator control unit, shift lock relay, brake control module and vehicle speed sensor. Here is a wiring diagram.

Paul,

It Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance. Let me know!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech