Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Fiat 131: MY 1975 FIAT 131 NOW HAS A 2.0 BLOCK WITH A 1.8 HEAD

MY 1975 FIAT 131 NOW HAS A 2.0 BLOCK WITH A 1.8 HEAD USED FOR ROAD RACING, WHY DOES THE OIL PUMP HAVE A METAL COVER OVER IT, I WOULD THINK WITH IT REMOVED WE WOULD HAVE BETTER OIL FLOW THRU THE SCREEN, HAVE BLOWN THE ENGINE AND HAVE A NEW BLOCK WE WANT TO KEEP WITHOUT HOLES IN IT. JIM

usually removing the screen cover off the pickup screen for regular driving will not make it suck up more oil

BUT if you are racing this engine and NOT driving on the road remove it as when your driving this engine for racing it is going at a lot greater speeds and G's when Turing then designed too

and that metal cover could actually make the oil pump pick up screen starve for some oil when under race conditions

did the old engine expire due to lack of lubrication ?

stock oil pan?

are you able to run or do they sell a bigger oil pan for this engine ?

are you allowed to modify inside the oil pan at all according to your rules ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The main bering on cyl 2 was wiped and blew a hole in the side of the block, it happended twice on the same track and same hard right hand turn uphill, and our crew is suspicious that the oil was thrown to one side of the engine, we got a new pan with a baffle in it, and based on what your saying I think we are going to remove that tin cover over the screen that just doesn't make sense to me that's it's there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

did you get my reply I have may have closed this out by accident

ok just wanted to make sure the oil pan had baffles in it to keep the pick up screen always submerged in oil

pull off the metal cover and between that removed and a new pan with a baffle in it now it should keep oil always at the pick up screen for those hard corners

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks so much I am also a ase master tech w L1 but somethings you just don't run into before, I'm pleased that we will increase our oil flow this way Jim

anytime