FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Infinity Q45: I have a 1991 Ifinity Q45 with a 8cyl 4.5L SFI

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Ifinity Q45 with a 8cyl 4.5L SFI DOHC enginge, and I am having a problem with steam coming from the left side exhaust manifold sheild but I can't see where or how the water is getting to it, one thing i have noticed is like a watery black soot on the bottom of the sheild right where the pipe that comes down from the EGR valve and screws into the exhaust, also there is heavy condensation drops from the exhaust pipe in the middle of the car underneath. The car is not over heating but will go above normal temp, after being driven for a while but I was thinking that could be due to the electric cooling fan not working properly, I did the straight power to it test and the fan works fine and the fuse is good also but I don't know how to check the relay fuse for the fan. Can anyone help me with my two issues.
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.

FixItMan :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me if this steam only happens when the engine is hot?

Customer :

No the steam starts about 5 or 6 min. after engine start and is warming up, but the steam seems to lighten up a bit once the car reaches normal temp.

FixItMan :

Can you tell me if you have noticed if the vehicle is losing coolant or oil?

Customer :

The coolant overflow tank was almost drained but radiator and block still full of coolant i have a valve cover leak on that side but no real noticable oil loosing, oil level is staying pretty steady going by dip stick and looks good, as does the coolant.

FixItMan :

An oil leak will definitely cause this if it is leaking onto the exhaust. It can also be a small leak in the head gasket. I would either have a pressure test done or do a dye check to see where the leak is coming from. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?