Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

elantra touring: one of my tail lights goes on sometimes and

Customer Question

one of my tail lights goes on sometimes and other times i have to bang the side to get it to come on.how come?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Hello again. When the tail lights stop working does every bulb stop working or only tail light bulb? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

only 1 tail light does not come on until i bang or kick rear quarter to make it go on.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks. This most likely means you have a bad connection on the connector going to the bulb, possible a bulb that is bad but when you hit the bulb it knocks the filament back in place. Next time light does not work remove the light and check to see if it has good power/ground. If power/ground is good then clean connection, use a small flat screwdriver to push terminal together so its a tighter fit, and use dielectric grease on connector. The black wire is the ground and the yellow is the power. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees or without opening new questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do you remove light?

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
It would be the same way as removing the back up lamp bulb which requires removing the tail light assembly unless you were referring to the marker light on the bumper. Are you referring to the bumper light or tail light in main assembly? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the bumper light

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
I cannot find this in the manual and have not replaced on myself. I would guess its done one of the 3 ways. Reach up behind the bumper and remove the bulb from the assembly. Reach up behind bumper and remove a retaining clip so light assembly pops out of bumper then remove bulb from assembly. If no retainers behind bumper and your not able to remove bulb from behind the bumper then you probably need to use a thin screwdriver to pry on end of lights pry it out. You can try those and see if one works then I'll also open question back up to see if someone else knows the procedure for sure. Let me know if your able to get it out, otherwise do not reply and someone else will automatically jump in when they have the information for you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
No problem, I need to be the last to reply or question is locked directly to me. Someone will reply automatically, thanks.