Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Fuel gauge shows empty when full . when its parked I can smell

gasoline from the tank but...
Fuel gauge shows empty when full . when its parked I can smell gasoline from the tank but there are no leaks on driveway
3/2/2013
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Canuck Tech :

what type of vehicle are we looking at?

Canuck Tech :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yeah I'm Here it is a 2005 ford F150

Customer:

Are you there ?

Canuck Tech :

If you were to turn the headlights on, and then try to crank the engine, do the lights go dim? I'm trying to igure out whether it is a starter issue or a starter control issue

Canuck Tech :

What size engine?

Customer:

4.6 in think or 4.2

Customer:

4.6 I think or 4.2 No the lights do not go dim

Canuck Tech :

Ok - so the starter is not engaging - here's a diagram -

Canuck Tech :

Full Size Image

Canuck Tech :

The powertrain control module supplies ground to the control side of the starter relay

Canuck Tech :

Do you have a "security" light on?

Customer:

Yes it blinks when I remove the key

Canuck Tech :

Automatic transmission, I'm assuming

Customer:

Yes

Canuck Tech :

Have you moved the transmission range selector? It's worth a shot

Canuck Tech :

Ok - but no security light flashing at you when you turn the key?

Canuck Tech :

Have you had a look at the 30 amp fuse F101 on the diagram I sent - this should be in the underhood junction box

Canuck Tech :

how about f102?

Customer:

Its not aXXXXX No sec. light when I turn the key

Customer:

the fuse is good the relay I dont know

Canuck Tech :

I mean the gear shift lever - like you are going from park to drive

Canuck Tech :

There are two fuses. How did you check them?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I looked at the fuse and it was still good the relay i cannot check

Canuck Tech :

Do you have a test light, and can you get to the starter?

Canuck Tech :

Not trying to be a pain in the A$$ here, but did you check both fuses, and how?

Customer:

No test lighYes I can get to the starter I engaged it manualy it cranked the engine but it did not start

Customer:

Give me a minuteI'm typing for my husband and he just went out to the truck

Canuck Tech :

OK - no problem! I think there are a couple of problems with the truck

Customer:

I pulled out the fuse that says 101 on it fillament is still good

Canuck Tech :

and 102?

Customer:

He's checking

Customer:

He pulled out 101 and 102 and there both good

Canuck Tech :

the fct that it will crank over but not start is going to complicate matters

Canuck Tech :

This is a long shot, but are you using a spare key versus an original?

Canuck Tech :

This is lokking more like a security issue.

Customer:

The original same key as always

Canuck Tech :

Also, we are going to need to check for spark soon, which is a pain

Canuck Tech :

Let me look into the security system

Canuck Tech :

Can I get a 100% verification on the engine? Is it a v6 or v8?

Customer:

He wants to know where to look to find out this is a new truck

Customer:

for him so he's not sure

Canuck Tech :

Might be on a sticker under the hood, on the rad support, or on the underside of the hood

Customer:

Ok give me a min. I'll go tell him

Canuck Tech :

If you have the serial number, I can figure it out...

Customer:

He's checking

Customer:

1FTRW12W85FA29263

Canuck Tech :

looks like a 4.6 liter v8

Customer:

Yep he just figured that out

Canuck Tech :

I think we can only go a bit further without high tech equipment and scan tools

Customer:

Ok

Canuck Tech :

No test light... do you have voltmater?

Canuck Tech :

voltmeter

Customer:

Not now but he has access to one at work tomorrow

Canuck Tech :

I don't have one of these trucks in front of me, but could he swap the starter relay for another one that is in the fuse block - say the horn relay if it will fit?

Customer:

Yeah he will go out and try so it could be a few minutes

Canuck Tech :

no problem

Customer:

He's still out there sorry Thankyou for your patience

Canuck Tech :

With this starter circuit, power comes from the central junction box to the ignition switch from the ignition switch,through the transmission range sensor, and to the engine control module. If the engine computer doesn't think the truck is in neutral or park, it won't energize the starter solenoid - this is why I asked if he had moved the transmission shifter back and forth a few times

Customer:

He tried changing different fuses in both 101 and 102 still nothing. He did move the shifter back and forth a few times and he also tried the spare key

Canuck Tech :

with a test light or a voltmeter, i would wan to know if power is getting to the solenoid terminal on the starter - the smaller of the two connections at the starter

Canuck Tech :

I don't know that I can guide you much further. Would you like me to release the question to other experts?

Customer:

He used a wire from one to the other and got the engine to crank with the ignition key on still did not start he wants me to ask you about the fuel pump shut off switch

Canuck Tech :

There is an inertia switch - think it is behind the passenger's side kick panel. Would cause no fuel pump action, but no a no crank condition

Canuck Tech :

but not a no crank condition

Canuck Tech :

There is a reset button on the switch

Customer:

Ok thank you for your help and no we will not need another expert at this time . Thanks again for your patience and yes he already tried that reset button. Have a nice night

Canuck Tech :

Ok!

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
How did it work out with the Ford? Canuck
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician