Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years Experience. All makes and models, Shop Owner, Access to 4 repair databases. - I take the Opt Out Questions :)
14357943

Mercedes BEnz S43: The gas needle on my 2002 S430 does not

Customer Question

The gas needle on my 2002 S430 does not operate properly. It moves at will making it impossible to tell how much gas is in the tank. I therefore go to the gas station frequently, never getting much over 10 gallons, to assure that I don't run out of gas. My mechanic replaced the floater--that did not seem to be the problem because the needle did not function properly with the new floater so the Mechanic took out the new floater and put the old one back and refunded me the money. The problem still exists. Can you identify the problem and the solution?
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Technician replied 4 years ago.

Virtual Technician :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to help you with your vehicle issue. Let me do some fast checking on issues with this.

Virtual Technician :

Did you have this looked at at a dealership?

Sorry, this system kicked me out of the chat session.

Was it a Mercedes dealership that looked at the vehicle?

I'm sorry,

What of my question led you to rate "bad service"?

Would you prefer I opt out to let another expert take care of you?

Well, I will continue to try and help you.

First, there was a recall issued FOR CERTAIN 2000-2005 S class Instrument clusters.

You would need to contact your dealer with the Complete Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to see if your is one of them.

Here is the recall:

SAFETY-RELATED VEHICLE RECALLS

Vehicle manufacturers are required to mail a recall notice to all purchasers, owners and dealers when a safety

defect or noncompliance with Federal safety standards is found.

This notice identifies the year, make, engine(s) and other information related to the vehicle(s) involved with

this recall, along with a brief description of the problem, and other pertinent information. Not all vehicles of a

particular year, make and model may be subject to the recall. Contact the manufacturer or one of the

manufacturer's dealers with any questions regarding this recall.

RECALL NOTICE SUMMARY

This recall summary reflects information submitted by the vehicle manufacturer. While it is an accurate reflection of the

information submitted, the NHTSA and/or the vehicle manufacturer may make changes at any time. No warranty,

expressed or implied, is made as to its accuracy or completeness, nor is any responsibility assumed by Tecfacts

Services, LLC. for loss, damages (direct or indirect). consequential or compensatory, including without limitation, lost

profits, breaches or defaults caused by reliance on the information in this summary.

Copyright © Tecfacts Services, LLC 2004. All rights reserved. No portion of this document may be reproduced, copied,

transmitted, distributed or stored, by any means, in any form electrical or mechanical, including recording or by any

information storage or retrieval system without written permission.

Manufacturer:

Campaign Number, Case:

Defect Report:

Recall Initiator:

Dates:

Date Owner Notified:

Vehicles:

No. Vehicles Recalled:

Noncompliance:

Consequence:

Corrective Action:

MERCEDES-BENZ USA, LLC.

06V028000,

ODI

6/1/2000-11/30/2000

2000-2005 MERCEDES BENZ CL CLASS, 2000-2005 MERCEDES BENZ S CLASS

36911

ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS EXPERIENCING ELECTRICAL

MALFUNCTIONS. THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONTAINS GAUGES AND INDICATORS

THAT MUST BE ILLUMINATED WHENEVER THE VEHICLE IS IN OPERATION.

DUE TO INADEQUATE ILLUMINATION, THE DRIVER WILL BE UNABLE TO READ THE

GAUGES AND INDICATORS, SUCH AS THE SPEEDOMETER, WHICH COULD INCREASE

THE RISK OF A CRASH.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER MODULES. THE

MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If yours is not part of the recall there are some other items that we can check.

But we would need some information from a dealer that has looked at your car (if applicable)

Hope this helps,

Rich

Good morning,

Just checking in to see if there is anything I can help you with.

Thank you,

Rich