Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am looking at a 2008 Scion XB with 122,000 miles. It seems

Customer Question
to have a lot of...
I am looking at a 2008 Scion XB with 122,000 miles. It seems to have a lot of road noise or frount tire noise. Any idea?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/4/2013
Auto Mechanic: Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr. replied 4 years ago
Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail; thanks

Toyota Service :

Does this car have "low profile" tires fitted? Thanks

Customer :

i DONT KNOW

Toyota Service :

Thanks for the reply.

Toyota Service :

We have this issue brought up in our shop quite often.

Toyota Service :

The Scion product line does not have very much sound deadening material installed, so, harder tires (a higher tread wear rating), and, more often than not, low profile tires results in a significent amount of road noise.

Customer :

And what do you find?

Toyota Service :

If you were to examine the side of the tires, and locate the treadwear indicator, anything over 330 is going to be noisy. Really noisy on newer concrete highways

Toyota Service :

Do you recollect if there was a fair amount of tread on the front tires?

Customer :

The tread wear was fair. I dont mind buying new tires . What would sugest?

Toyota Service :

If the front tires are worn (insert a penny into the grooves of the tires, Lincoln's head toward the tire...if you can see all of Lincoln's head, you need to replace the tires).

Toyota Service :

Worn tires (at the limits of the available wear) will be very noisy.

Customer :

OK what tire would recomend ?

Toyota Service :

If this car has fancy big rims (a lot do), and those "low profile" tires, you will need rims and tires if you want the noise to go away. A low profile tire has a very thin sidewall. This allows more noise quotient.

Toyota Service :

Right now, I have a new set of Nexxens fitted to my car. The Yokohamas I took of were very noisy. I hated the noise. Where I drive, a lot of the roads I drive on are new concrete. Excessive noise. The Nexxens are not as noisy; nice tires

Customer :

This car has OE Rims. So what tire do you recomend?

Toyota Service :

Nexxen.

Toyota Service :

Great tires, and not a ton of money

Toyota Service :

If you cannot find Nexxen, Toyo is a nice alternative

Customer :

What do you think about Michlin?

Toyota Service :

Michelin tires are, first and foremost, expensive.

Toyota Service :

Secondly, most have a high tread wear rating; this would be a noisy tire

Toyota Service :

Personally, I never liked Michelins.

Toyota Service :

They are not 'bad' tires, however, I thing that nexxen and Toyo deliver the same performance for less money

Customer :

So am I to conclude that you think this noisy is from the tires?

Toyota Service :

That would be my estimation of the issue, tires. We do not see a lot of other causes for front end noise. A wheel bearing failure, maybe, that can happen, but it is rare; that is about it

Toyota Service :

I would think it a good idea to have the vehicle raised on a hoist, and have the front wheel bearings listened to...just to be sure. If no wheel bearing noise, Get some tires

Toyota Service :

Do you have any other questions for me today? Thanks

Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service