Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

for how long can i drive with a spear tire?

hi.

If yours is the small "donut" spare and not a full size tire, then the maximum is 70 to 100 miles at no more than 50 mph top speed.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

wow. already driven 50 miles on it. can a flat tire with a side whole be fixed?

HI,

Sorry, you cannot repair a hole in the sidewall. It is too weak there to accept a plug or patch, and every state I know of it is illegal for a shop to try to repair a hole in the sidewall.

The mileage I gave you is the limit that the tire manufacturers set on those donuts. I have seen people get more out of them, but every mile over 100 is a chance of it blowing out.