Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1988 renault 2.2 low miles. This thing stalls when you take

1988 renault 2.2 low miles...
1988 renault 2.2 low miles. This thing stalls when you take you foot off the accelerator. If you slide into neutral and keep rpms up and then drop down into gear it runs just fine. Have it in garage 500 miles away and sent then a manuel but they can't seem to figure it out and it has been four months.
2/2/2013
Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Before jumping to anything major, start with your basics.... do your regular maintenance for anything you don't have history for. It is very easy to overlook basic tune up items assuming them to be good when we don't know the history at all.

Beyond that and in relation to your problem, your main suspects would be a dirty throttle/intake as this would cause the vehicle to want to stall on deceleration. This is a major problem as far as effect goes, but a minor fix to take care of it.
In addition to that you would want to make sure there isn't a over drive (torque lock up) staying engaged on deceleration. This is something that will give you the same symptoms you describe with one alteration you didn't mention: If you accelerate from a stop to 25 mph (example) then let off it won't be a problem, however if you go up to 35-40 (example) and let off it will be a problem since the lock up has already engaged at that point and won't disengage if that is the problem. To overcome, you would have to put it in neutral and keep the revs up a bit then drop into gear. In this instance, more internal diagnosis would be required to see what is going on inside the transmission to keep it locked up.

I will call him and have him check that out, If that is the problem do you think I could drive it home on the expressway where higher speed is continous.....I have a really good traney man here in town.

Hi

If either of those scenarios are the case, both are safe to drive with one caveat each:

If you have a simple sticking throttle issue, you need to be cautious that the throttle does not stick severely, and if it does put the vehicle in neutral and turn it off.
If you have a torque converter that is staying locked up you will experience stalling on deceleration into 1st gear when it is occurring, and will likely need to crank the engine back up while applying the gas put it into gear to get it going again.

Both issues if either is the case would likely be fine for sustained driving since they will both primarily cause issues at low speed/stops. Just use caution driving it until you are able to get it looked at in person and identify the problem.
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician