Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Wat can cause my auto to not select overdrive.the overdrive

Wat can cause my...
Wat can cause my auto to not select overdrive.the overdrive light is flashing on and off.the box has been removed and put back in but only had transfer case chain replaced.nothing was done to the auto.f250 7.3 2005
1/4/2013
sal66chev
sal66chev, Auto Mechanic

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I`ll be happy to assist you. there is a few things that could be. one of them is that the torque converter could be slipping and causing it to go in fail safe witch is the O/D light to flash and no overdrive, another problem could be that there is clutches burned up inside the transmission or a bad solenoid.eather way I would have it diagnosed at a transmission shop before problem gets any bigger and much more expensive.

I hope this helps you and if you have any more questions let me know.Smile

tested cold today all good untill hot.have stall testd in all other gears tesyad ok.have tried turn off and on .light still flashing seems to be only when hot.how do i test solinoid

for that we need to know first what transmission code you have stored. usually when there is a component in the transmission slipping such as the torque converter it takes two consecutive drive cycle for the computer to set the code and to set it on fail safe. a lot of times this gets confused with temperature related. problem and throws the diagnostics off. transmission problems like the one you are experiencing are very tricky to address correctly without throwing parts at it. my recommendation will be to have a transmission shop take a look at it. they have special tools that can speed up the process and make it lees expensive.

I wish there was an easy way to address this concern but this will be the best way to find out for sure.

hope this helps you and if you have any more questions let me know. Smile

ok didnt know it took 2 cycles to set codes.i had2codes 0743 and 0741 .cleared codes.took for drive again did 6 cycles before light started flashing and no o/drive again.now only one code 0743 t conv.clutch system elect. Failure

how many miles there is on this vehicle and what is the condition of the fluid? does it smell like paper burned?

only 125000 miles fluid is new including converter. stall test fine.when it goes into overdrive it is same revs as normal.
i had no probs before trans was removed and refitted.
125k is not too bad. try to drive it with the scanner connected with live data on screen and TCC slippage percentage on screen and monitor the percentage make sure wile lock up is engaged the slippage percentage is near zero. if it does than look on the valve body make sure the tcc valve is free
my scanner only does live data for engine.I dont uderstand why u think its slipping .before removal and refit i was towing a 4.5tonne trailer no probs.wat could i have done by remove an refit to make it slip.box was not touched only transfer case.tested again today.did ten cycles diferent speeds .full thottle ect.again didnt seem to appear untill hot.once hot cleared code.comes back as soon as put in any gear.the only other thing is i overfilled after refit then drained could this have blown sumething .does any of this help.
anutha thing i dont understand is why do just answer connect people in totaly diff time zones.too hatd too much time diff

overfilling the trans does not cause any problem like the one you are having.

ok. so once is hot it doesn`t matter if you drive it then?. is just as soon as you move the shifter to any gear the light starts flashing?

I`m sorry about the time inconveniente. I`m trying to be online as much as posible but if for you is better that I opt out so someone closer to you is able to assyst you I`ll be glad to do that for you. botXXXXX XXXXXne I`m here to do what iserves you best. Smile

yes once hot i can clear fault and light stops but comes back as soon as shifted into gear
here is the flow chart for the diagnostics for this code. this should be able to lead you towards the problem. if you need anything else let me know Smilegraphicgraphicgraphic
sal66chev
sal66chev, Auto Mechanic
sal66chev
sal66chev
sal66chev, Auto Mechanic