Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Suzuki Sidekick: I have a 96 Suzuki Sidekick. When I start

I have a 96 Suzuki Sidekick. When I start the car, a loud grinding noise starts, and continues to be.... unsettling. Grinds when in neutral, reverse, all the gears, etc.... Also, while driving, there seem to be fluctuations in rpm. Not sure if this is enough to get some help?
Is the grinding coming from the starter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't believe so. I've had problems with my starter before, but this is different. It sounds closer to the fan in the front.

Is it possible the fan is hitting the shroud?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't think it is actually hitting the shroud (I'm making the assumption the shroud is the plastic covering.) It is rocking, so that could be it.

Ok then thats the issue the fan clutch is most likely bad causing these issue as well as hitting the shroud.This is what needs to be checked next.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I could have your opinion on how much of a problem this could be? I'm planning on a longish drive soon, and to know would be nice. Thank you very much!

Should not run more then 250 parts and labor at a shop more at the dealer.Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks.Bonuses greatly appreciated.