CarDoc
CarDoc, Independent European Shop owner
Experience:  20 years of experience working with European cars. Independent European shop owner and technician.
14582033

Ferrari F360 Spider: My name isXXXXX owner of A-Class

My name isXXXXX owner of A-Class Transmission & Service in Dallas, TX. I have a customer with a 2005 Ferrari F360 Spider. It came in with a Check Engine Light. The codes are;
P0015 - CAMSHAFT POSITION 'B' TIMING OVER RETARDED B1
P0025 - CAMSHAFT POSITION 'B' TIMING OVER RETARDED B2
P0042 - EVAP EMISSION SYSTEM LEAK DETECTED (SMALL LEAK)
P0300 - RANDOM CYLINDER MISFIRE DETECTED
P0306 - CYLINDER 6 MISFIRE DETECTED
P0308 - CYLINDER 8 MISFIRE DETECTED
P0305 - CYLINDER 5 MISFIRE DETECTED
I cleared the codes and test-drove the vehicle for about 20 miles before the light came back on and codes P0015 and P0025 came back. I suspect an EVAP leak probably around the intake manifold. That would explain the EVAP code and misfire codes. I'm about to perform a smoke test and want to know where the connections are. I would also like to know what could be setting the CAM POSITION codes. What are some common problems with this model?
My email address [email protected]
My phone number is XXXXX or 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX
Thank You,
Darrin

CarDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

CarDoc :

I would be extremely concerned about the cam position codes, in conjunction with the misfires

CarDoc :

Right now, I would have to suggest that the car not be driven at all, until the engine is pulled, and cam timing is corrected

CarDoc :

For the smoke test, test directly at the fuel neck, using your fuel tank adapter

CarDoc :

However, the EVAP codes are much less of a concern than the 0015/0025 codes

CarDoc :

Those are worrisome

CarDoc :

to put it mildly

CarDoc :

Now, it's possible that the Bank2 camshaft variator valve is faulty, which will also cause these codes. Would be worth swapping banks to see if the codes follow

CarDoc :

But if there is catastrophic variator failure, this will also cause engine damage

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You