Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Hyndai Sonata: I have a Hyundai Sonata 2005. Normally it works

I have a Hyundai Sonata 2005. Normally it works just fine. Every now and again (it seems when I pull into park somewhere with a hard turn left or right, then turn off the engine before shifting into park) it won't start when I come back out. Usually a jump to the battery will work fine to get it going, but today not even that. It has a very strong single click every time I turn the key, but that's it. I have had the battery checked and it is very fine. I read online to turn the tires all the way to the left and/or right and that should resolve it. I haven't tried that...I tried turning them to the center as they were already to the right quite a bit and that didn't work. Apparently it's not an uncommon problem as it is posted quite a bit on line. Your thoughts?

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Is it a V6 or a 4 cylinder engine? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

V6. Regularly serviced.

This is a common problem caused by a failed starter solenoid which is built into the starter motor. The solenoid is what you hear making the loud click but when it gets worn it does not pass voltage to the starter. You can remove the starter and have it tested at your local parts store for free to verify it has failed. It is about a 45 minute job to replace and a $250 part so around a $300 job at a shop depending on where you go, let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wouldn't this start to show some problem gradually? It's actually done this off an on for three years and other than that no problems whatsoever..only when I make a hard turn, park with wheels still turned, turn off ignition and then put in park.

The starter usually starts gradually but if it has been doing it off/on for 3 years that would fit the description. It definitely sounds like a bad starter but to know for sure you would want to have it tested. You can also use a voltmeter on starter terminals, both should show 11v while trying to start if good then you know starter is the problem. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK...what I find odd is that it works perfectly fine all the time unless I do this combo: hard turn, park, turn off ignition, shift into park. that's the only time it does this. and it is only about twice a year that it does it....not increasing in frequency. If I remember to shift into park before turning off the ignition, there is no problem ever. It's stuck in an auto garage at present so I was wondering if the the "turn the wheels all the way left and right" might work ? What does that do exactly?

Turning the wheel would not help and it honestly just sounds like a coincidence to me as there is no way turning the wheel would effect anything. I know it's probably not what you were hoping or expecting to hear but it is my professional opinion. If you would like another opinion let me know and I can open question back up. I just do not want you to be unhappy with my opinion since it is different then yours and leave me a negative rating because of it. So if your unhappy or would like a 2nd opinion please let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wouldn't leave you a negative rating. I've researched and other people have had this problem with this year/model/make..they've spent lots of time/money having everything checked and replaced only to have it continue....someone mentioned the possibility of a transwitch issue whatever that is...basically...it is like the car thinks it is still in drive so that is why it doesn't start. Weird. Maybe someone else has experienced it, so if you want to open it up to someone else that's fine. I'm not bothered..it's a tricky thing.

If it was something like the transmission switch you wouldn't here a click sound. The transmission switch allows voltage to be sent to the starter solenoid which is making the click. Usually people who post things on forums are not trained technicians and are just guessing without any real knowledge of how the system works. If you would like me to open up question for another opinion, just let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes please.

No problem, do not reply or question will be locked to me only. Someone else will reply automatically when they can help but since it is late they will probably not reply tonight. If someone does not reply within a day or two then it is probably safe to say there are no different opinions. Let me know what fix ends up being, thanks and have a good night.