Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

suzuki grand vitara: good day, i have a 2006 suzuki grand vitara,

good day, i have a...
good day, i have a 2006 suzuki grand vitara, the vent stopped working,usually when its the resistor, one of the speeds usually works!!
The main fuse is ok, removed the blower, connected it to a battery, it works but the wires got really hot, does that mean anything.
12/5/2012
porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician

porscheguru :

Hi

Customer:

hello!

porscheguru :

Canada? Gotta get you set up cuz it is getting cold and you gotta have that heat!

porscheguru :

OK, so you are educated on how the HVAC fans typically work as you stated about the resistor.

Customer:

i totally agree! its even harder to work on u<r car outside in this weather!

porscheguru :

So, how many miles?

Customer:

i just dont know if i need to change the resistor or the blower^

Customer:

85000 km, so approx 50 000 miles!!!

porscheguru :

Well, here is the thing, you hooked the battery up to the blower directly and the blower works fine? No noises? Spins freely? BUT the wires got super hot right?

Customer:

so hot they almost melted!!!!

porscheguru :

OK, that is bad and the blower motor is drawing way too much current. It has to be replaced regardless. I am wondering how big of a fuse you have for the blower motor? The excess current probably damaged the resistor as it could have happenned on all speeds hence losing all speeds.

Customer:

40 amps

porscheguru :

WOW! is it a larger (physical) 40 amp or just a standard blade fuse?

Customer:

larger, mid size, never seen these types of fuses, in with, it would be loke adding 4 regular type fusing next to one another!!!!

porscheguru :

It stll does not justify the wires almost melting.

Customer:

sorry, bad typing,what i meant to say in width, !!

Customer:

does the wire size matter

porscheguru :

Sure, bigger wire can handle larger currents

Customer:

the wires i used were from a cheap tester, i had nothing else,

porscheguru :

Hang on, so explain to me how you jumped it?

Customer:

the motor is 600 bucks in my area, oh and the resistor is 100$, i just want to make sure im not changing parts for nothing!

porscheguru :

OK, sure, thats alot. Which wires were getting hot? The cheap wires you used to jump it or the wires on the motor?

Customer:

well, i used a battery from my father-in-laws boat im storing in my garage for him, removed the blower from the car, used the wires from a tester i bought from Canadian Tire(auto zone for you guys!! :)) , motor worked right away with no noise, but the wires werent happy!

porscheguru :

So the cheap wires got hot right?

Customer:

right!

porscheguru :

OK, good

porscheguru :

The thing that got me thinking was the 40 amp fuse

porscheguru :

Thank God we ask questions

porscheguru :

right?

Customer:

if u know speaker wires, they were about 16 gauges

porscheguru :

HOLY God! 40 amps going through tha! Maybe 20 but...

porscheguru :

Well I think the blower motor will survive!

Customer:

so do u think i still need to change the blower, i was initially thinking of only changing the resistor, but if that blows, there goes 100$

Customer:

oh! so only change the resistor!

porscheguru :

No, the blower sounds like a beast. They give that circuit factory protection up to 40 amps! That is a powerful motor.

porscheguru :

I would only replace the resistor. There is still a possibility of the switch but the resistor is more common.

Customer:

the switch on the dasboard

porscheguru :

With the fan speed control. less likely though

Customer:

ok, so if the new resistor blows, which i hope doesnt, sure I go for the blower or the switch

Customer:

isnt it weird thought that all speeds would fail if its the resistor

porscheguru :

I don't think it will BUT that blower is $600! Before I would commit to that, I would have an motor shop check it out.

porscheguru :

No high speed?

Customer:

before changing the resistor

Customer:

no speed at all!

porscheguru :

That resistor is electronic though. I would consider having a motor shop check it out. Good piece of mind and a fraction of $600. Just don't tell them how much new is

porscheguru :

Motor shop checking out the motor not the resistor

Customer:

yup! thanks for ur help

porscheguru :

And the resistor is electronic so all speeds could possibly fail

porscheguru :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no, all is good, thanks

porscheguru :

Thank you!

porscheguru :

If not, can you please rate my assistance in a positive manner as this is the only way I will receive credit, thanks and thanks for letting me help you.

You can directly request me here: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-porscheguru/

Feel free to contact me for anything! I have an alert on my phone if somebody needs me. Kind of like Superman! :-)

porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician
porscheguru
porscheguru
porscheguru, Technician