Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

could an air bag light that comes on an goes off have anything

could an air bag light that comes on an goes off have anything to do the the eng. shuttening down and requiring a restart. if not what might ?

Steve :

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Steve :

A air bag light will not cause your vehicle to die.

Steve :

Does it die coming to a stop? At idle or while cruising down the road?

Customer:

yes is dies coming to a stop and must be restarted.

Steve :

It restarts right away no problem?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

This sound like a bad idle air control motor and or the throttle body olates are sludeged up and they need to be cleaned.

Steve :

*plates*

Customer:

any other ideas---what about sensesr of any kinde-- could my mech insturstermen that he plugs into the can detiect what you think it might be?

Steve :

That is a possibility there may be a code, but if the check engine light is not on there may not be ant codes. But it is possible there is a pending code. Would not hurt to check for computer codes.

Steve :

You could guess all day on sensor. I am just giving you the most likely concern.

Customer:

are you thinking more of an air problem than an electric problem?

Steve :

Yes I am thinking of air problem. If it was a electrical problem It would not restart.

Steve :

If it is dieing coming to a stop then the computer cannot compensate for the air concern,

Customer:

are them suggesting i tell my mech to check the idle air control motor-- never heard of such a thing and the throttle body olates---what are they-- are these on all cars of just the range rover??

Steve :

They are on all fuel injected engines. You have a idle valve that controls or bypass air past the throttle to keep it idling and to keep it from dieng coming to a stop. The throttle plates are what open and close to control the idle speed.

Customer:

how does the mech check these items and how can he tell if they are not working correctly?

Steve :

By looking at the computer voltages through the tester the mechanic has, you have what is called computer pids and you can monitor what the computer is doing to diag what is wrong. You can look at the idle bypass valve and the throttle plates.

Customer:

I pass that along and see what he thinks. do you have a contact that i could follow up with you so i could tell you what the final solution was-- providing we find the cause?? let me know.

Steve :

You can come back to this question and let me know

Customer:

good bye