autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ Advance Engine Performance
157591

isuzu rodeo: i have a isuzu rodeo 1997 3.2 4x4. first thing

i have a isuzu rodeo 1997 3.2 4x4. first thing i noticed the idling was a little up and down .then two days latter , i was going down the road and it started sputtering and shuttoff. cranked backed up and drove it a few more days and started pulling hills and it started again ,it did nt cutt off but it sputter for about tenmiles and then clear up. i have changed plugs.5 months ago. no engine light. do you think this is a sensor problem.

autodoc_2000 :

It could be a sensor, but then again it could be something like a fuel or air filter. If the engine is not getting enough fuel or air it could cause this issue. When was the last time the filters were changed? Does the tachometer drop at all when it is acting up?

Customer:

i havent changed thefuel or air filter, inot sureabout the rpms because i was paying attension to se if the engine light was comming on.

Customer:

come to think of it does go down alittle bit

autodoc_2000 :

If it is dropping a little it could be the crankshaft position sensor is failing. The rpm signal is sent by this sensor. I would start with the filters first and see if it takes care of it. Even if it does not they need changed. If the fuel filter is plugged it will cause the fuel pump to die prematurely.

Customer:

it seems like it start messing up when you got behind somebody slow and took your foot off the gas.

autodoc_2000 :

I would definately try the filters.

Customer:

thanks i will try that first

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

by the way , the problem to my November 2012 question was spark plug grommets were letting oil in the spark plug holes on two cylinders. that should help you guys when next person has the same symptoms on coil pack type engine