Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

I have a 2005 Duramax 6.6 with 100,000k miles. It ran great

I have a 2005 Duramax 6.6 with 100,000k miles. It ran great last night and this morning I started down the roads and it sound like a rod knock in an gas engine. If you press on the gas it still gets on and goes with good power. Could a bad injector be making the noice.
Bill
Absolutely you have a bad injector causing this issue .You have two choices they can be removed and cleaned or the faulty injector or injectors can be replaced.Is the engine light on also?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No light on

Ok then you need to have the injectors removed and cleaned .This will take care of the knock.If it was an engine knock as you know there would also be a compression issue.So having the injectors checked is the next step.You can take a long screw driver put it up against the injector then the other end up to your ear and you will know for sure which one is bad and can just replace that injector if you want thats up to you .These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.Please rate sometimes the question will close and I will not receive credit for my help.You can add to the question at anytime for no further charge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On this engine it looks like the injectors can be removed fairly easy. Not like my son's 2003 duramax. Is that the case. Is there any cleaner that I could run through first that might clean it up. I have been running 100% bio till this tank full that I got yesterday which is straight diesel.

Ok yes these are fairly easy to do still need a special tool which you can get at the auto parts store.You can try running some fuel injector cleaner through it a few times first.If there is still an issue it will need to be removed and replaced and then you need to get all the air out of the fuel system which can be a pain sometimes.So try the cleaner a few times first it might work and clean these injectors up.These are the next steps.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.Please rate sometimes the question will close and I will not receive credit for my help.You can add to the question at anytime for no further charge.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How much damage can I do to the engine by running it awhile with the cleaner. Is there a good cleaner that you would recommend. When listening to the injector, the one that is bad would not be making any noise, is that right.

The one that makes the most noise is the faulty injector.This is what I use with very good success.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.Please rate sometimes the question will close and I will not receive credit for my help.You can add to the question at anytime for no further charge.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So it shouldn't do any damage to the motor by running it as long as I don't try and pull a trailer or work it hard.

Correct you will be fine.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.Please rate sometimes the question will close and I will not receive credit for my help.You can add to the question at anytime for no further charge.