Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2003 hundyia Sante Fe. 170,000 miles. Engine light came on.

When I slowly brake the...
2003 hundyia Sante Fe. 170,000 miles. Engine light came on. When I slowly brake the vehicle, it shakes continuously until the vehicle stops. When I brake hard obviously the vehicle stops faster but it doesn't shake ???
11/4/2012
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Greetings Sir or Madam and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
Hi there!
Do you know what code is being stored that caused the check engine light to come on?
Also do you feel any pulsation in the brake pedal?
I don't see any "code". Brake peddle doesn't seem to be vibrating
OK, the code has be scanned to see it.
If you don't have it that is fine.
Does the engine run rough when you are sitting at a light or stop sign?

When the brakes are applied, it doesn't shake. When you take your foot off the brake, it begins to shake. Almost as if it's tied to the lower gears in the transmission?

It is possible, but that is really what I am trying to determine here.
So, the engine performs smooth unless you take the foot off the brake, does it have to be in gear or do you feel this sensation in park as well?

in gear

I know it;s a lot of questions, and I am sorry, but I don't want to mislead you with an opinion or idea of what is going on here.
One last question for you.
Does the vehicle have to be in motion for this to happen?

no

Ok, I would have the check engine light scanned, I think you will find there is an engine misfire and that this is not going to be related to the transmission.
If there was a transmission issue it would likely have to be in motion for the problem to occur. My other thought is something happening with one or more of the engine mounts, however that would not cause the check engine light to come on.

The car is located 300 miles from my mechanic, would you drive it 300 miles or does it sound like the problem is too serious?

I would have the check engine light scanned first and foremost to make that determination. If there is a misfire, you don't want to drive it that far. It could take out the catalytic converter and cost you more money. Plus if the timing belt is the cause it could damage the engine.
If you get it scanned and want me to give you more info I would be happy to do do. You can just post it here and I will respond even after you rate.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician