Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I want to buy a friend a vehicle diagnosis machine for christmas

and don't want to spend...
I want to buy a friend a vehicle diagnosis machine for christmas and don't want to spend over a few hundred but less as long as it is a quality machine. He currently owns chevy vehicles, 1 car and 1 truck both in the 1970's. I think his car is a 73 nova and his truck is a 79. Also, can one machine be used to diagnose both vehicles and which machine do you recommend?
11/3/2012
carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician

carguyjosh :

Good evening.

Are you looking for a machine that can scope engine ignition systems?

carguyjosh :

Are you looking for a handheld unit?

carguyjosh :

As far as the stalling problem your friend has, it sounds like the float level is to low

Customer:

Just something good at diagnosing mechanical problems with the 1970's vehicles he has. He is not a mechanic so something to tell him what is wrong then he can either try to fix it or take it to someone knowing what is wrong

carguyjosh :

I'm going to be very honest. There are no machines that are simple to test with on the older vehicles. You must know how to hook them up and know what your looking at.

carguyjosh :

Honestly, a subscription to just answer maybe great for him.

carguyjosh :

If you want to get him a great tool, I can suggest some basic meters for testing

carguyjosh :

Please just let me know

Customer:

ok thanks for the info.

Customer:

I appreciate the info.

carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician

Wait, Wait..

Do you want to wow him?

Get hime a nice multi-meter from a place like Mac tools or even a nice meter from sears would be great..($100) He'll love it.

Pick up a $10 spark tester, a $2 spark plug gapper and a 12 volt test light. I assure you he'll love the gifts and use them all of the time..

Thanks, Josh

Thanks Josh. I will do that. Hey just because I'm curious. How do you adjust a float level? Is it complicated or relatively easy?

It is fairly simple, I don't have much experience with edelbrock carbs but there should be a small ruler that came with the carb and a screw in the top to change the level.

He should have the instructions that came with the carb.

If you run into any questions getting the christmas gifts, just send me a message and I will be more than happy to help.

If you have a question of a specfic tool, send me the model # so that I can look at it on the internet and give you the low down..

Have a great weekend..

Thanks, Josh

carguyjosh
carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician