Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I can't get the gear shift to go into park all the other

Customer Question
gears work great...
I can't get the gear shift to go into park all the other gears work great
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
11/3/2012
Auto Mechanic: Scott W., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Scott W.
Scott W., ASE Certified Technician
Steve W :

Hello my name is*****

Steve W :

Does the shifter feel loose? Like there is excess play in the shifter assembly.

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

the shifter seems normal not loose

Steve W :

Was the shifter or column removed during the previous repair?

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

while trying to find the smoking wire the ford dealer took parts off the stering coilmn

Steve W :

Ok, I would check the shifter cable, make sure it is installed in the bracket under the column, if ok, look at the transmission linkage, make sure it looks ok under there, then try to adjust the shift cable to see if the problem can be fixed this way. The most common concern we see for this is the 2 small bolts at the bottom of the shifter column that holds the actuator for the shift cable become loose and the shifter will not travel all the way, check these 2 bolts also.

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

that make sense can you put this chat in my email'''rich

Steve W :

Unfortunately I can't, Just Answer rules are chatting in this forum only, no emails or phone contact.

Steve W :

Do you need instructions on cable adjustment?

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

yes

Steve W :

Is this a econoline chassis or stripped chassis motorhome?

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

it

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

its a ford v ten spartan chassis

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

hello

Steve W :

Hello, give me few minutes and I will get the info, thanks Steve W

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

k

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

hey steve we look at the cable and its taunt there is spring loaded sprocket below the canble

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

we found the cable very light weight it is tight there is spring loaded gear wth holes around the circle ???

Steve W :

Is this under the dash?

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

waiting rich

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

on the stering coulm

Steve W :

Ok, this wheel is for steering wheel rotation sensor, your vehicle may have this or it may not.

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

above the break pedal on the colum

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

no its under the stearing colum

Steve W :

Does it look like THIS CLICK HERE

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

not getting pic

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

what sofware are you using

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

its not in the chat room

Steve W :

It is a PDF file

JACUSTOMER-1lc1susb- :

p

Steve W :

I will switch to question and answer.

Scott W.
Scott W.
Scott W., ASE Certified Technician