Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Recently bought a 03 DISCO II with 83,000 miles and have only

Customer Question

Recently bought a 03 DISCO II with 83,000 miles and have only put on 400 miles. I have already had a few things coming up with shifting, not shifting etc. and the closest LR service dept. is 75 miles, but before I go there, can someone help answer some questions in case I don't need to go there?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since we first got the car (for son) over ebay (stupid of me) from PA, immediately upon arrival it has been popping in the front end when turning from a starting position (forward or reverse). Then after a few days of seldom driving, during a sharp turn in a parking lot, it popped again in the front and while in drive and then it acted as if it was in nuetral and would not move anymore except in reverse and forward only in 1st gear. I finally took a leap of faith and started to the transmission shop and while on the way was able to manually shift in to each gear, but only on the fly. After getting it to a couple garages (Chevrolet and transmission shop included) they were baffeled?? No engine light or any others were on until after Chevrolet tried a diognostics and then the gear shifter light, Gearbox manual/sport mode warning lamps also began to flash while on my way back home (2 miles). However, from the time I left the dealership service dept. the Disco. started and shifted from every gear??? Still planning to get it to Land Rover for opinion, but afraid of being jerked around. Chevy mechanic stated he got these 3 codes in the ECM= P0130, P1590 and P0170???

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like a shorted ecm was this checked?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, but as I mentioned before there were no warning lights on anywhere when the popping in the front end began?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok so once the popping began then this all started like it ripped a harness out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure what you mean by ripping a harness out, but will replacing the ECM fix these concerns?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Are there any wires hanging under the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No Sir

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok but still have the noise correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, whenever a turn is attempted, it pops and jerks...

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok that's the front transfer case locking up and this very well can be a causing these codes. This needs to be checked ASAP before it locks up completely. If it is transfer case it will be about a 1500 dollar repair. It can also be a 100 dollar sensor. So these need to be checked next. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks!Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just noticed I didn't put in one more piece of information...one day in the middle of all this, while driving down the highway, a burnt smell with smoke emitted from under the driver's side...I've been reading a lot trying to figure this out, is it possibly that the ECU burnt up and is the offender?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Absolutely. I would start there next. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks!Bonuses greatly appreciated.