Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Suzuki Sidekick: I have an 89 Suzuki Sidekick JX with a 1.6L

I have an 89 Suzuki Sidekick JX with a 1.6L 8 valve engine and a friend just wrecked his 96 Suzuki with a 16valve engine. I'm told the engines are interchangeable but would have to change the wiring harness and computer to put his 16 valve in my 89 model. Does this sound correct and how difficult would the changeout be?
Hi, my name isXXXXX this can be done, but you would need the entire engine wiring harness and the entire dash wiring harness, and the computer, to make this work, and replacing the harness is going to be the hardest, and time consuming, and also, the same instrument cluster must be used, so if his is different, you would need to swap this too, this is a very time consuming swap, it would probably be more economically sound to find a 8 valve to put into yours, you are not going to gain that much by installing the 16v into it,Tim