Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Opel Kadett: if i want to install a turbo charger to C16NZ

if i want to install a turbo charger to C16NZ (Opel Kadett) engine... what are the modifications i have to do first....??

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

You should look into strengthening the engine, and increasing the radiator size to take care of the extra heat produced. If you are rebuilding the engine, use high strength pistons, like forged pistons. The turbo puts a lot of strain on the engine, and any improvements you can make to the engine as far as high strength parts, and cooling are a wise move. All of this will allow the engine to stand up to the extra stresses of the turbo.

The exhaust has to pass through the turbo, then from the turbo outlet, out through the exhaust system. Then you have to supply oil pressure to the turbo, and have a drain, or return line for the oil to get back into the engine. From there you have a few choices. If you use a carburetor there are blow through setups, where the turbo blows through the carburetor, and there are systems that suck the air, and fuel mixture from the carb, and blow it into the engine. Fuel injection is a complex option that is expensive to set up, and complex, but works well. If you want to explore injection, look at the old style Bosch CIS mechanical injection VW used on VW Rabbit engines. Also look at the Megasquirt system, at the link HERE. You also have to control the boost pressure with a waste gate, which has to be designed into the system. It bleeds off exhaust pressure, and controls boost that way. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer:

thnx for all the information.... but i need more details for the engine C16NZ (MULTEC Central Fuel injection - CFI).... there is no forged pistons for such engines in the market... can i do a modification on the original pistons.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The original pistons will stand up to about 5 to 8 PSI or about .35, to .55 BAR. Forged pistons are much stronger, and run about 100 degrees F cooler. There are places in the US that will custom make forged pistons, like ARIAS pistons, I will post a link for them HERE. With fuel injection this installation is difficult, as far as making the injection computer understand what boost is, and getting it to inject the correct amount of fuel. It is virtually impossible with some factory systems, because most engines run with vacuum in the intake, and the computer doesn’t know what to do when boost from a turbo occurs. The Megasquirt system I gave you the link to in the last post can deal with boost, and is a very good choice if you install a turbo. It is very programmable, and there is a forum of users for support, that helps a lot. The much easier route is to use a Weber 44mm IDF carburetor, and feed the air fuel mixture through the turbo. Still fuel injection is the best choice, the technical challenge is huge to make this work, the Megasquirt is the best choice for fuel injection. You can even buy the Megasquirt in kit form and build it yourself. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Dr.

does MegaSquirt-II work with CFI engines ?

Yes you can drive a CFI engine with a Megasquirt system.