Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

suzuki sidekick: i have a 93 suzuki sidekick 16 valve the air

Customer Question
i have a 93 suzuki...
i have a 93 suzuki sidekick 16 valve the air fiow meter was unplugged when i got it it seemed to run fairly descent, other than smellin a little rich. after a month of this i feel like maybe a new problem. seems like hot or cold does,nt matter its sometimes. goes to running bad rough idle dies wont accellerate. more throttle just bogs it out ihave codes 14, 21, 34, and 45 iput new plugs, temp sensor, good fuel press. and no catalytic converter.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Car
10/7/2012
Auto Mechanic: Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech replied 5 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer!

My name is AMEDEE and I can assist you with your question.

If you clear the codes, which code comes back first?

Have you checked the fuel pressure under a load when this happens?

Was the air flow meter replaced? Are you saying that the catalytic converter has been removed?

catalytic converter has been removed, the air meter is new when plugged up it shows 1.5 volts at a idle when accelerated it only gets to 2.1 volts . it has been unplugged and seems to run okay. unhook baterry to clear codes hook baterry read codes before crankin it reads 45,14,21,34 .maybe not say under a load but when it is runnin bad i have good pressure

Josh,

Thanks for the additional information.

What is the engine vacuum at when the engine is at idle?

What is the o2 sensor voltage at when the engine is bogging down?

not surre how to check engine vacuum .haven cheked o2 voltage when bogin down i have unplugged it while runnin bad and no change but air flow meter is unplugged as well

Josh,

We need to run a few tests in order to figure out what is going on.

The air flow meter is the number one input to the computer for injector pulse width. So lets plug it back in and run some test.

First, check the o2 sensor voltage under a load. Full throttle the oxygen sensor should go full rich. If not, then your engine is running lean. If the fuel pressure is good, then we check the injector pulse width when this happens. The air flow meter, engine coolant temp sensor and TPS all get factored in when the computer is pulsing the injectors open.

I have even seen bad fuel injectors causing this sort of condition. They can either short out or just be plugged up restricting the fuel flow into the cylinders.

Next test would be to check engine vacuum. You can do this with a hand held vacuum gauge. It should be close to 19 inches at idle and the gauge should not fluctuate or vibrate at idle. If so, that would indicate a mechanical issue. Also, if the engine vacuum is low, this would indicate an engine breathing issue.

Let me know what you find!
Josh,

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance.

Let me know!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech