Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Isuzu Trooper II: I have a motor that when timed and sitting

I have a motor that...
I have a motor that when timed and sitting cold starts and runs perfectly normal. When put into gear and driven a few miles the motor starts to miss and runs rough. You then have to adjust the timing on a different mark to get it run better while parked but still runs rough while driven. I was told that this is caused by the cam or crankshaft being loose ended and that the motor is walking. I would like a second opinion or a confirmation if this is the problem. It is an expensive job to undertake and would like to be sure as possible.
10/5/2012
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

tellme..what engine do you have?

Customer :

2.6L fuel injected

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

when did this problem begin?

tims auto repair :

are you thee?

Customer :

Drove vehicle across the country 2 yrs ago. Drove only about 150 miles off and on since when problem started. It was gradual.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

so,,it runs right when cold?

Customer :

Yes. Runs normal when timed cold . I just started it this morning and it ran fine I let it run for 30 min. It ran fine . Something obout putting the vehicle under load throwing it off.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

when it gets hot...tell me what it does,,,does it seem to flood,maybe blow some black smoke?

Customer :

No. No smoke. Motor starts to lope a little

tims auto repair :

does the engine have a knock?

Customer :

No. Sound normal.

tims auto repair :

explain the lope

Customer :

When started cold the engine idled completely normal, After 15 min-20 min the has a slight reving up and down, nothing major.

tims auto repair :

but,,it is drivable..onle the idle problem?

tims auto repair :

only

tims auto repair :

after it is warm

Customer :

The motor runs ok while parked. When driven it ill run fine for 2-3 miles then goes rough, like needs timed.

tims auto repair :

ok,,,

tims auto repair :

i dont think you have anything wrong with the crank or cam

tims auto repair :

if it were moveing it would rattle or knock

tims auto repair :

from the way you explain..it sounds as if you may have a bad ect sensor..or something like that

Customer :

It drives 2-3miles then runs rough like needs to be timed.

tims auto repair :

yes,,i understand

tims auto repair :

but,,again,,if it were the crank or cam...it would knock

tims auto repair :

and you would know it

Customer :

ect sensor?

tims auto repair :

engine coolant tempeture

tims auto repair :

the computer may think the engine is always cold

tims auto repair :

thus,,causing it not to get the right fuel and timing when warm'

tims auto repair :

or maybe the maf sensor

Customer :

ok. Let me check those out. Do I rate you now or after I see if that solves the problem?

tims auto repair :
1988 Isuzu Truck Trooper II L4-2559cc 2.6L SOHC
Air Flow Meter/Sensor Locations, Components: Air Flow Sensor
30_imp_87_011-0093.png
Full Size Image
Emission Control Components.
tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

are you there?

tims auto repair :

the things you need to do here,,

tims auto repair :

1- sense the timing belt has been replaced,,,,check to make sure the belt is not a notch out of time

tims auto repair :

2-set the timing to spec,,and nail it down

tims auto repair :
Ignition Timing Adjustments: Ignition Timing

Adjust ignition timing under the following conditions:

1. Engine at normal operating temperature.
2. Lights, A/C, and accessories turned off.
3. Engine idling at proper idle speed, with throttle valve completely closed and idle switch "ON
4. Transmission in "Park" or "Neutral".

Timing procedure:

1. Connect timing light.
2. Loosen distributor mounting bolt.
3. Adjust timing to specification:
12° BTDC @ 900 rpm.
4. Tighten distributor mounting bolt.
5. Recheck timing, repeat adjustment if necessary.

tims auto repair :

3-remove a clean the maf sensor

tims auto repair :

4-perhaps replace the ect sensor

tims auto repair :

5-the ignition module could cause this problem,,it may be br

eaking down with heat

tims auto repair :
Ignition Control Module Locations, Components: Power Transistor/Switch

30_imp_87_011-0093.png
Full Size Image
Emission Control Components.

Ignition Module/Power Transistor
RH Side Of Intake Manifold

Applicable to: 1988 Trooper II

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

to answer your question...i do not think it is the crank or cam walking from the way you explain

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

Customer :

ok.I do't see the ect or maf on the diagram.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the ect is near or on the thermastat housing

tims auto repair :

the maf is in the second picture i sent

Customer :

ok. I rated. Thanks Tim.

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

i didnt get a rating

Customer :

ok. I'll do again.

tims auto repair :

got it

tims auto repair :

ti think

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic