Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

isuzu rodeo: After a hard rain the light will come on in my

After a hard rain the...
After a hard rain the light will come on in my 2004 rodeo
10/3/2012
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,

what light comes on?

headlights

Ok, so the headlights come on by themselves after it has rained, correct?

are they on when you come out to the vehicle?

yes, they are on when we come out.

Have you checked the fuse box for water intrusion?

yes, every thing is dry

Ok, that is good. Let me pull the schematics up. does yours have daytime running lights?

no

Ok, I have looked at the schematics and dont know what would cause them to come on simply due to raining.

I will opt out and see if another expert knows. Please dont reply until another expert replies to you, otherwise it locks it to me and prevents another expert from helping
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

Hello!

Different Expert here.

The headlight relay supplies the headlights with power. The combo switch activates the headlight relay by supplying a ground when the lights are turned on.

So when this happens, check for a ground on the red/blue wire coming from the combo switch. If this wire has a ground on it, then chances are the combo switch is at fault. You could just disconnect the combo switch connector to see if the lights go off. If so, then the combo switch is bad and will need to be replaced.

If this checks out ok, remove the headlight relay. It is possible that this relay is just bad or corroded causing this condition.

If you remove the headlight relay and the headlight stay on, then chances are there is a short in the fuse relay box inside the vehicle.

I hope this helps!

Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech

The question is where is the combo switch located and what does it look like

The combo switch is the turn signal switch and headlight switch all in one on the left side of the steering column.
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech