Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

i ahve swapped the engine from a 1989 amigo to a 1994 isuzu

Customer Question

i ahve swapped the engine from a 1989 amigo to a 1994 isuzu amigo. the engine will run but it will not idle good and when you give it gas it cuts out. i can unplug the map sensor and it will run smooth but when you give it gas to fast it will die. wahat is the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Ok was the 1989 computer used ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No the computer was not switched. What needs to be done to fix it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No it was not. The 1994 computer is still in because the wiring harness connections are different.

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
You need the harness for the 1989 as well as the ecu for this to operate correctly. Unfortunately this is what need to be done. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks! Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had thought that the computer needed swapped. Everything in the 94 is the same including the O2, MAP, and Mass air flow. The only thing else left is the throttle body ( the top half ) can i not change it out and it work? Is there not a way to re-program the 94 computer?

Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately yes this is the only way.