Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

what do i do about this problem

what do i do about this problem
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2012
proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic

proautotech :

proautotech :

Please explain a little more.

Customer:

dash ,head lights,no charge ,tail lite,blink on&off

proautotech :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

no

proautotech :

Can you get one?

Customer:

that i already did it is charging just under 14 volts

proautotech :

If you are having an electrical issue. I am unable to diagnose without some testing.

proautotech :

You stated it is not charging.

proautotech :

If it is running and reading 13-15 volts than it is charging.

proautotech :

But with all the flickering we need to find out the source.

proautotech :

Testing with a volt meter is the only way I know.

Customer:

the lite come s on but it is chargeing

proautotech :

The bat light is coming on but the vehicle is charging. Did you check when the light was illuminated?

Customer:

yes

proautotech :

Okay good. But all these light flash. Do they go totally off and on?

Customer:

yes

proautotech :

Does it do the same thing without the engine running?

Customer:

yes

proautotech :

Okay we likely have a faulty body control module.

proautotech :

To verify this condition we check the powers and grounds on the bcm if they test good. Replacement will be necessary.

Customer:

ok where is this loc. on car?

proautotech :

Behind the left hand side of the instrument panel.

proautotech :

I have a picture. in the image it is #1 CLICK HERE

Customer:

by replacing will the new one need to be reprogramed

proautotech :

Yes.

Customer:

ok can i do this or do have to take it to a dealership

proautotech :

Anybody who has the programming for this which I am sure is many.

proautotech :

Call the shops around and ask about having the bcm flashed.

proautotech :

We charge .5 hours.

proautotech :

So that is about the going rate.

proautotech :

0.5

proautotech :

Half an hour

Customer:

in dollars an cents please

proautotech :

That is times the labor rate. So that can be 60-120 depending on the shop and the area.

proautotech :

So expect about 30-60 bucks.

Customer:

an the control mod. what am i looking apromx. in dollars

proautotech :

If you go used from www.car-part.com maybe 30

proautotech :

Refurbished 80

proautotech :

Let me know if I can do anything more to better provide assistance.

proautotech :

If you would like to make sure I am credited, please leave a positive rating of excellent

than click ok.

Customer:

you where a great help i thank you

proautotech :

You are very welcome! Have a great day!

proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
proautotech
proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic