proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

On my 260Z The tach pegs---changed tach same problem

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

The tach wire at the distrubutor has a bare portion between the distrubutor and the cluster.

Fix the bare portion of the wire and it will stop the problem at hand. This should be a blue color wire the wire runs up under the hood to where the coil is located.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is that blue wire touching ground in between. A year ago the z club had a fix but I moved and can't find my paperwork on it. I will have to pay a wiring shop $ 75. per hour to do the repair as the car isn't in my town right now. How sure are you ? Mike

I am positive.

You will not be charged much. They can remove the wire and re run a new one which is less than 1 hour of time.

But I am sure you can locate it have someone pull on it from the cluster itself watching outside the firewall until you can see the area.

but I am positive for sure without a doubt this is causing your concern.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want my $29.00 back. The fix isn't even close. The blue wire on the coil is to ground on the negitive side. and there is at least 4 connectors in the harness before the wire goes through. No way to wiggle a wire and find it.. There is a resister under the carpet on the passenger side and I think thats what needs changing. I drove 125 miles to get to the car, only to find the wrong answer... I'm done!!!!!!!! Mike