Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Grand Cherokee: My daughter was driving her 2004 GC 4.7 HO

My daughter was driving her 2004 GC 4.7 HO engine down the road when it just quit running. I used my scan tool and it had the cam shaft code stored. I have replaced the cam sensor, no luck, changed the crank sensor, no luck, installed a refurbed PCM, no luck.
Checked fuel pump at manifold and have fuel. Swapped the auto shut down relay with TCM relay no luck. What other things should I check?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Have you checked for spark? Are you getting spark?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not satisfactory. I pulled the coil and spark plug out and laid it so the spark plug threads were toughing a ground but then the starter wouldn't turn over. later found out I had pulled the ignition switch fuse and replaced it in the wrong slot. Reinstalled fuse correctly and starter turned over but did not recheck spark. Would that be the correct way to check for spark? If so I would need to do that check again.

Whats not satisfactory? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not verify I had spark.

Ok, thanks for update. You can remove a coil with spark plug then ground spark plug while in coil to see if it spark while someone else cranks the engine. You can also see if it runs on starting fluid, if so this means spark is good. Check spark and let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, will have to do tomorrow because computer and car are 10 miles apart from each other. Any other things that I need to check?

If you have no spark then next step is to check power/grounds on wiring going to ECM because you would probably have a wiring issue. Here is a connecotr diagram to help you test power/grounds. Let me know what you find and if all power/ground are good. Also make sure 5v ref wire is not shorted. You can reply to this answer at any time without any additional fee's so make sure to let me know how it goes, thanks.

-

http://db.tt/4YWp1VCH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I checked for spark at Number One Cyclinder and did not have any. I then checked the 5volt reference at the camshaft sensor and it was present. I also checked the output as I cranked the engine and it only varied from 0v to 1/2v. I went to AutoZone and purchased another new camshaft sensor and installed it with no luck, still wouldn't start. I have checked the grounds and they are okay but the diagrams you sent were unclear as to what input powers I was to check. Would you clarify what power inputs to check and the values I am expected to find? Still working this problem with your help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

I checked for spark at Number One Cyclinder and did not have any.  I then checked the 5volt reference at the camshaft sensor and it was present.  I also checked the output as I cranked the engine and it only varied from 0v to 1/2v.  I went to AutoZone and purchased another new camshaft sensor and installed it with no luck, still wouldn't start.  I have checked the grounds and they are okay but the diagrams you sent were unclear as to what input powers I was to check. Would you clarify what power inputs to check and the values I am expected to find? Still working this problem with your help.

Sorry for delay, I was away from computer. This is a common problem, The negative rating hurts my reputation, if you would like to re-rate me I'd be glad to contineu helping you with what probelm is. If your unhappy with answer you can have refund issued at any time so there is nothign to lose by giving me a godo rating. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The poor rating was because I didn't feel we had resolved the question and felt I was not ready to rate your services yet. Just Answer's system would not let me continue the conversation with you without first rating the service. I tried replying to you later the first night I asked the queston but my additional conversation was blocked out of the system after you requested me to rate the service. I continued to try additional conversation by selecting Reply to Expert the following days but was still blocked until last night when I selected a rating. I believe it is unfair to ask me to rate your service or the companies service until I feel we have resolved the question. Until a resolution is reached I believe a rating should not be necessary because the service is incomplete and unsatisfactory. I rated your service OK but still need to resolve the question.

I hear ya, I'm at the bottom of the ladder and have no say in how they run site, I just try to help people get vehicles running.. One PCM connector one check pins 2 and 22 for power, pins 31 and 32 for gorund, and make sure pin 17 has good 5v. Pin 31 on connector 2 should have 5v. pin 12 on connector 3 should have voltage while cranking. Let me know, thanks.