Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Suzuki escudo: Suzuki escudo / vitara 1997 -1.6 petrolI am

Suzuki escudo / vitara 1997...

Suzuki escudo / vitara 1997 -1.6 petrol I am failing to pick up the problem with my vehicle. Initially I thought it was fuel pump that makes it fail to pick up speed. I fitted new pump yesterday and tried to run it but it is not performing. This problem started after chaning engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter. I drove it for 450 km and it started this problem. It idles irratically and then improves. I can rave it to 6000 rpm with no problem but it has no power when driving it. Kindly assit. If possible please advise with a daigram fuel system especially wher problem is. Best regards XXXXX [email protected]

8/28/2012
JacobTD
JacobTD, Mechanic
Welcome to Just Answer
I need to know the engine size to provide you with the most accurate information. Also, a little bit of information about maintence and any repairs known, Milage, and type of driving done. Thanks await your responce

Its Suzuki vitara 1996

Engine no G16A - 433278

Chassis no. TAOIW - 921719

Petrol.

It has covered 167866 km

I imported the vehicle from Singapore and had served it twice.

one @ 157860 and the second time @ 167500.

I changed the following @ 167400 km

Plugs, oil and oil filter, fuel filterand air filter.It started this problem after second service after travelling 450 km. I then changed fuel pump yesterday but still it has not changes. It does not idle well at start and then stabilizes later. It picks up raves to 6000 with no problem but has no power when driving. When driving it does not respond to fuel feed but picks some speed when releasing fuel feed. It does pick up speed and drops when driving as if there is blockage in the fuel system.

Inspect intake sensor MAF and hosing Look for any leaks. Make sure All intake air duct is tight and correctly in place.

Now received. Should I start from air filter housing up to engine point. If you have some diagram please assist.

Roy

Walt-Mod
Walt-Mod, Moderator
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Kindly advise if I can buy workshop manual for suzuki escudo 1996 petrol G16A. I am sure I will be able to more assistance from the manual than get litle information from experts. I am not saying experts have little information but they are other small bits of infor they leave when assist us.

Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat, so the weather and engine temperature can effect them.

This leads them to be quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks

its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue

On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile

as for sourcing a manual this is difficult as there's not an specific one for your car

however the Escudo, Sidelick, Vitara, and the Geo Tracker all use the same 1590 cc (1.6l) engine so a Haynes Vitara manual should help for this aspect

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=13161&langId=-1

Matt, Engineer

I will be able to advise my findings once I work on the car. I only work on my car after work so I am very slow to feed back. Please bear with me.Sometimes I work extra hour so I will not be able to carry out repairs.

Thanks

No problem

just get back to me on this post when you can
Matt, Engineer